[Released 12/9/21] Zorin OS 16 Lite?

Zorin OS 16 Lite is currently In Development and will be released when ready.
If you chose Zorin OS 16 Pro, then you will get an email for your additional copy of Zorin OS 16 Lite download.

1 Like

Is there any updates regarding to the Zorin OS Lite 16 Release Date. Is there a fixed date where they will release it?

Nope.

I vote next release, Lite should come out 1st... All in favor?

1 Like

Where are the bookies? :money_with_wings:

1 Like

My god. Zorin only has two developers? That is untenable, especially with their new Grid project that they're getting ready to roll out. I certainly hope they expand their development team, even if it means delaying Zorin Lite 16. The worst position to be in when working on a project like this is to be so busy that you become your own bottleneck.

Having said that, I like the way Zorin Core 16 looks, but basing the desktop on GNOME doesn't really make sense. They've had to customize it six-ways-to-Sunday to make it do what XFCE and KDE already do by default. Maybe GNOME is easier to modify than XFCE, I honestly don't know, but XFCE requires fewer modifications in the first place to achieve "Windows-like" and "Mac-like" desktops. And if XFCE's graphical capabilities are inadequate, starting with KDE would be a better bet than starting with GNOME, again because fewer modifications would be necessary. The guys over at Garuda Linux have a "Dr460nized" version of KDE that uses stock customization settings to produce a desktop laid-out almost exactly the same as MacOS...and if you prefer Windows instead, well, the default KDE layout mimics that with no changes required whatsoever. Basing the Zorin Core/Pro UI on GNOME despite the heavy modifications required seems like an ideological decision, since long-time Linux users tend to be religiously devoted to one desktop environment over another.

...also, KDE and XFCE both handle desktop launchers better than GNOME does. And I do like my desktop launchers, so that's an important factor for me.

1 Like

Their organization skills and attention to detail do them great service... But you do make a good point.
Hopefully, the extreme popularity of Zorin OS Pro may facilitate expanding the development team.

I could not agree more.
They did do a phenomenal job with adapting the Gnome Desktop.
But I also believe that a different Desktop Environment would be an easier starting point for new migrants to Linux, in general. Much less for making it "windowsy".

I snagged Zorin OS 16 Alpha at the outset and Beta not long after.
It only came in Core, so I had to "fix" it by installing XFCE4 on it. :wink:

We strongly agree on this point, as well.
Again, ZorinGroup did a very good job in adding much-needed (and Missing) functionality to the gnome-shell panel.
But XFCE panel has the type of functional, easy customization that all the modified Gnome in the world cannot match.
Settings are easier to find and to understand. And modification really opens users doors when they migrate... A person coming from Windows is used to feeling Trapped in a box. Gnome is very similar.
But allowing the user to tip their toe in the water on XFCE, but then venture outward into the world of User Control is, In my own opinion, a great way to go.

1 Like

It's funny that you say "GNOME is like being trapped in a box", because while I appreciate the aesthetics of the "zoom out" effect in GNOME3/4 when opening the Activities menu, it also makes the desktop space feel enclosed instead of open. As someone with occasional claustrophobia, it doesn't bother me but I do notice it. Interestingly, the enclosed feeling doesn't go away when switching to a pretty outdoors wallpaper. It may also be the use of a top bar that feels a little bit like a ceiling, I don't know.

But that's irrelevant to Zorin anyway, since they don't use the stock GNOME UI.

1 Like

You do not need to keep the taskbar at the top. There is a setting for that.

fyrstormer "My god. Zorin only has two developers?"

We know. I was just kidding with the forum because several of us prefer Lite and always have the longer wait. And I may add, pay for Pro (formerly Ultimate). We aren't going anywhere, with slight delay or not. Zorin is our OS of choice, period.
Trust me, if I ever get back to Dublin, I will take Kyrill and Artyom out for a pint, or 3. Just to say, Thanks for all your hard work. And a few hours away from the pc.

1 Like

@JeffK969 You will probably find Zorin Bros in the pub, using the free wifi :wink:

3 Likes

First, thank you for a great Linux distro! I really do like Zorin and 16 Core is really nice. Saving up for Pro (bought Ultimate already). I do love both Zorin and Mint (don't hurt me for saying that! lol) almost equally. Waiting for XFCE version as well. Have broke distros too much trying to make XFCE work on a release didn't have XFCE as default. I get close but still isn't as good as a distro released with XFCE as default. Using 16 Core now for my second PC and Win10/Mint for my main.

Zorin OS 16 / 17 August 2021; 27 days ago.

Just saying...

Teaser:

It looks like Zorin OS 16 Lite will be including XFCE version 4.16

4 Likes

Oh how exciting, the plot thickens! :metal:

1 Like

Patiently waiting.... waiting....... :grin:

3 Likes

Well TDodd, you realize that since you already own OS 16 PRO, that automatically qualifies you to get LITE for free when it releases right? :wink:

1 Like

TDodd, you're a better person than me...

I'm impatiently waiting... Been yelling at kids when I drive by their bus stop in the morning. Shouting at old ladies in the grocery aisle that are moving too slow for my liking.. It's brutal. Not so much for them, but for me. I mean, they are going to be fine. I still have to wait, download, install, tweak.. So much to do..lol

3 Likes

I do yes. Just waiting for the word.

1 Like

Hahaha! No I just dream, think about Zorin lite constantly, check the forum for news every 60 seconds nothing too bad....

1 Like