Pop! OS topic / talk / support (all in one)

Zorin is old school. POP OS is modern company what trying conquer the market with new trend and refuse some rules from another linux developers.

I wonder how pop 21.10 would be, saw alot of great comments from users who disliked 21.04 and do like 21.10 beta.

Well if it promotes Google like a lot of other distros, like Makulu Linux or Pepper Mint (I didn't try it out long enough to see) I'd rather not.
Why I am not keen on Google period, even though I do still have a Gmail account but that is so I can post Mother-in-Laws meter readings as she has never owned a computer or smartphone and now in her 90's:

Yes I know Google owns YouTube.

1 Like

Today i installed / upgraded my Pop! OS 21.04 to Pop! OS 21.10 beta on my external test drive with 1 single command sudo pop-upgrade release upgrade -f.

The only thing that got changed is the applications menu (sure some apps got upgraded). Here are some screenshots.

They are using the 5.15 kernel in their new toy.

System ram usage is fine too

When the application menu is opened and i open the folder app i need to close the application menu first otherwise because i cant access the folder app (cant even move it LOL. I guess this is a bug, if gnome programmed it like that i will switch de @Aravisian :stuck_out_tongue:.

3 Likes

Great review. Kodachi is one person also using not old Kernel.

beep beep... Я робот
Just came in to advertise the Poll currently running on the forum:

So here the diffrents. The shortly wrote here POP OS for gaming and Zorin for people who before using windows or mac best possibility for Zorin but this is weird because on windows you also playing a games. Why that's review must be some stupid. Zorin is more secure and private what io reading on this article. Any linux are secure and private. Correct? Omg internet is a ■■■■ many websides with useless information. I hate that lost time for this uselless websides. That more confuse me.

I pay little attention to Online Tech Articles. They are all slanted.

2 Likes

The article is also 8 months old.

So the one experience is download and check on PC if this suit for you and you liked some distribution linux.

1 Like

Exactly.
That is why I did so much distro hopping myself.

When it comes to usability and performance in your own setup, you are the ultimate judge, not those tech articles you find on net.

If you are concerned about the wear and tear of the SSD, I recommend to test them in the virtual environment. While it is not exactly the same as bare-metal installation, it is nevertheless gives much better idea than running a live session from USB key.

1 Like

You mean external hard disk ssd or virtualbox?

Virtual environment = VMWare Player (free for personal use) or VirtuaBox (open source if the name Oracle does not bother you).

Why is that?

USB key is way slower than internal disks.
USB connected SSD is OK provided you have one of those fast connecting enclosures:
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00OJ3UJ2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Or this:
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01ESQZG6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can change the disk easily with this adapter.

I have several inexpensive 120GB SSDs (from lesser known manufacturers) which I exclusively use for testing purpose. Even if repeated writing cycle shorten the lifespan of SSD, the financial impact would be minimal to lose one of those.

I have 2x Samsung T7 Touch 2TB and 2x Samsung T5 2TB external drives. 1 T5 is used here as a test drive, so i can't create a mess on my Laptop if things goes wrong. The left one that is upside down is my test disk.

I bought 2 awesome cases on aliexpress to save the disks in.

Yes i am a big Samsung fan, i love their ssd's

1 Like

Got it. Its a matter of speed.

For testing I often boot the iso's straight for my nvme SSD after altering the grub.

2 Likes

Surely that is another way to test without compromising the speed.

Once upon a time, Live session was only possible from CD ROM. I do not think I can take that speed any more. It was as fast as snail express :snail:

1 Like

But while booting directly from USB or SSD/HDD you will have the testing files/ability directly available, how is that working out with VM.

When I use Virtualbox I use network connections/samba or attach an additional USB to the virtual image for testing.

In the virtual environment, OS is actually installed from iso image (mounted as a virtual CD/DVD).