Pop! OS topic / talk / support (all in one)

I will upgrade tommorow.

2 Likes

Nice. :+1:

I have old graphic card then cannot test that. This card graphic are expensive.

Wish me luck :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Cool! :smiley: Let me know when you finished it!

Installed! the upgrade went very smooth!

Nothing lost...even my manually installed nvidia driver kept installed

The bugs i had in 21.10 beta are all gone. This one looks and feels great!. I did remove the wine repo from hirsute and installed the impish one. This because i installed wine manually in Pop! Os 21.04, Pop! OS 21.10 is based on impish.
Going to install it on my wifes laptop too (HP Pavilion G7-2310ED), she has Pop! OS 21.04 too. Wonder if the wifi and card reader driver needs to get reinstalled. Wifi card needed a newer driver because it got lost in 21.04 after the kernel 5.15 update. Fixed it by following this post.

2 Likes

That went very smooth right?

1 Like

Yeah, second machine (8 years old) no issues either.

2 Likes

That works very well then. :+1:

1 Like

How is it comparing to Zorin ?

I did not test the latest builds of Zorin, last time i used Zorin was at the end of august/first week of september. It would not be fair to compare with a older release vs a newer one.

You could install two vm's (one with Zorin and one for POP!) and see how that goes.

I agree with this completely. That prospect does not make sense.

1 Like

All good.. I don't want to try it, I don't like Gnome.hehe

Also I am happy with Xfce now

Well i don't hate GNOME but i do understand the people that complain about way to less customization compared to other DE's. For me i use my laptop only for Games, Internet, Email and some small apps. I don't customize alot because i don't want to break things and i don't really need it.

On the otherhand i do like the looks of Cinnamon, used to have it with Mint 17.x. I did customize back then to see what linux was capable of compared to windows 10 back then. I was really amazed of the things Linux could do.

My older desktop back in 2016, i changed the panel back then :).

Because my games didn't run well (guess because i forgot the proton/runners ?) i swapped back to Windows 10. But this year i completely switched to Linux and never turn back to Microsoft's BS OS

1 Like

Wich one do you prefere?

1 Like

For my needs GNOME will do just fine. Otherwise i would have changed it already :wink:

2 Likes

My wifes 8 years old notebook, just got a kernel upgrade to 5.15.8, everything works just fine. :grinning:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series]
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
09:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
1 Like

Playing Halo 4 on Pop! OS 21.10 ... and it look beautiful :smiley:

Added @ 3 jan, i love the light effects in Linux! The reflections are so great!

4 Likes