Zorin OS 17.1 ...?

There's your answer. I never used Zorin 16 from the outset. Zorin 17 is my introduction to Zorin OS. So I only have 17 as my sole point of reference in how I assess Zorin. Ha.

Usually, distributions include only the Debian/Ubuntu APT applications as a default because supposedly they are faster and more reliable. However, Linux overall is going through a transition of having containerized packages like Flatpaks, AppImages, and Snaps. All are controversial for both similar and different reasons. The advantage of such packages is the ability to use it on old and new distributions while having the latest application. Or, the ability to install one package for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, or Arch. It has not been a smooth transition - one of the reasons I am leaning to just going pure Debian - but that's another story.

Zorin has sort of been caught up in this drama inadvertently due to including all formats available by default with their software center/store. To me, that is one of the reasons I like Zorin - I don't have to hunt around looking for software. I always find what I need. Maybe in the future Zorin distributions will contain more Flatpaks or Snaps by default much like Ubuntu does with Snaps. I am not sure how receptive the community would be with that. Perhaps that is something that the Zorin team is debating? I would not be for it.

From my perspective, Flatpaks/Snaps/AppImages are fantastic but not as a primary source for software. They are great stop-gaps for an older distribution to get new software or to find a certain application not yet available in a native repository. However, it seems they now considered the primary source yet they have all sorts of issues form size to loading times to system access/functionality to security vulnerabilities.

Anyway, just providing feedback so you get an idea of the different package formats and the dilemmas that come about. Regarding Mint's Out-Of-The-Box-Experience, it has Snaps stripped out entirely with only Ubuntu/Debian packages for the Ubuntu versions of Mint and Flatpaks installed with no Flatpaks for default applications. (The Debian version of Mint only had Debian packages and Flatpak packages.) Take care. :v:

1 Like

I already did :slight_smile:

I always could. Many other users said the same.
Remember... Testimonials are Statistical, not Evidence.

1 Like

Sorry, I don't use this app.

1 Like

I know, I know... it was just a bad joke :smiley:

I don't think this is unreasonable; the out-of-the-box experience is an absolute must to assure the success of any product. In that sense, I agree with the decision of recommending Linux Mint to people new to Linux... however, there are other things to consider like the day-to-day user experience and community support.
I don't consider myself a complete "n00b" but Linux Mint has managed to leave my computer in an unrecoverable state during a routine update, which not even Windows did after decades of use. The community support when I asked about this was to shift blame and was told (paraphrasing) that I should've known better... a glaring example of how bigger is not always better :wink:

ZorinOS provides a much better user experience overall. I can attest to that as it's the only Linux distribution that I've installed for other people that are either inexperienced with computers in general, or new to Linux. I much rather spend some time ironing a few wrinkles during the installation than having to teach people how to navigate an unfamiliar system.
Issues happen from time, of course, but they are mostly small things, small enough that I rarely have to fix twice as people do learn over time when things are not overly unfamiliar to begin with.

Another distribution that I think would help beginners, now that Windows 11 has a similar interface, is Pop!_OS. I might try that in the future as an experiment to see how it goes.

2 Likes

People choice distributions operating systems to them suit and preferences, sometimes it could be some software or another things what they working with them.
Linux is just a kernel. Besides I saw some software is working after new release but after some updates it stop working correctly.
Linux Mint is just simple but Zorin gived a user huge experiences with many software and drivers in beginning what people start working with them. That is my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks to all for responding and participating.