Zorin OS 17 Beta Feedback

exactly - not the world's end, but it says Zorin approved - lol

Just installing kde-full via Synaptic and Dark mode changed to Light in both Synaptic and Downloads window.

1 Like

Well here we are with Zorin 17 with KDE (Plasma) 5.24.7!

The Firefox logo in the Dash was a ? originally, because the inherited icon theme was 'hicolor' - just removed from the dash, went to the Tiled Menu, right-clicked the hicolor icon for Firefox and selected Edit application, then just browsed for the gold-dark icon which is the theme used. In terms of the Zorin Menu button I extracted the icon from usr/share/pixmaps into /home/public. I then screenshot a rectangular region of the desktop of the KDE logo bottom right. Opened both in GIMP and used the colour picker on the golden K and attempted to use the darker gold elements at the bottom of the 'Z' logo, and lighter gold for the top and left of the 'Z' logo in an attempt to match the gold-dark icon theme!

3 Likes

Why can´t the Zorin Icon on start button, be colorful this time, instead of grey.

How do you install KDE? Why can´t Zorin replace xfce to KDE, XFCE is just too boring.

I suppose it's a matter of preference. You can change it for something else though:

You can run

sudo apt install kde-full

If you want just the bones:

sudo apt install kde-standard

Or if you want Minimal Install:

sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop

Lastly, you can just install the Kubuntu desktop environment:

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop

2 Likes

You change the colour here:

But I do find the colours a bit insipid (pale), sorry Team Zorin!

As well as the terminal, you can install kde-full from Synaptic Package Manager:

I installed Zorin 17 core beta as a QEMU/KVM virtual machine. Setting type as UEFI failed with "boot loader not found", but a BIOS mode install worked with no problem.

Firefox as a Flatpak? I like it. All the Zorin themes are Flatpaks, so what's one more?

I would suggest including the Extension Manager app by default with Core. There are a lot of Extensions installed by the Zorin team by default, but no way to activate and manage them without that tool. Are users expected to know about their existence and what to do?

Also, no mention of extensions in the Tour app that I could see. Maybe there should be?

Is it missing in Zorin OS 17? In Zorin OS 16, it is included in the Extensions Tab of Gnome Control Center.

The Zorin Themes as Flatpaks are included in order to ensure that Flatpak users maintain a consistent theme on Zorin OS. The themes are also APT installed and most users are seeing the APT supplied themes. You only see the Zorin Flatpak Themes in use on Flatpak packages, if you have them.

3 Likes

Extensions Manager: It did not show in an Activities Overview search. I installed it from Software.

Control Center? Is that the same as Settings? If so, there is no Extensions section in there.

Could you expand on this? Some links to evidence would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

Besides previously-mentioned Extensions Manager, Gnome Tweaks Tool is not installed by default in 17 Core beta. Maybe it will be in final release? Users need this to configure many things in Gnome environment.

Are you sure "they" are the ones getting paranoid? :smiley:

Hi Aravisian,
No, Gnome Tweaks (formerly gnome-tweak-tool) didn't exist in 15, and having just booted into my 16 it is not there either. It's a simple case of launching a terminal and entering:

sudo apt install gnome-tweaks

It then appears as Tweaks under Utilities part of the Menu:

and the same in 17:

I had to use Shutter to take the above screenshot because the new one that comes with Zorin 17 doesn't have a timer (delay) function.

And just like 16, Tweaks is limited in 17, unlike Gnome Tweaks in 15!

I am referring to Gnome-Control-Center (Just shows as Settings in the app menu) > Extensions tab.

Can you screenshot?

All features that are not DE specific will be in Lite version, as well as education. Core is their main flagship, and introduces the improvements as well as features.

We will most likely see the Lite Beta in a couple of weeks. Keep an eye on the blog for news of it's release.

Remember that all versions share basic improvements and features. As with any release, they have read from the forum and produced an OS based on our reactions, wishes and expectations as best they could in a general fashion.

3 Likes