Pop! OS topic / talk / support (all in one)

But what I understand is that POP!_os has better support for amd/nvidia and better performance for games right?

That is correct, when i used zorin in august they where on nvidia 470.57.01

When i downloaded the Pop! OS 21.04 and installed it they already used the newer nvidia 470.63 driver. Pop! OS has 1 time not updated the driver (470.74) ... Took them 1,5 month to add but normally within 2 weeks it would be added in the repo.

For my self i manually install those drivers and hate to wait, i installed the latest drivers in windows and i wanted to do the same in linux.

And is it correct that games on POP!_os gives better performance, stability and functions better than on Zorin?

It's possible because Pop! OS uses newer kernels (5.15). The 5.15 kernel does not stutter with 1 game for me that i play alot.

With 5.11 and 5.13 it did a bit

That sounds really good. Then I made my decision for my desktop pc. For my laptop, Zorin is again excellent.

1 Like

Halo 2 (The Master Chief Collection / Remastered / New Textures)

Halo 2 (The Master Chief Collection / Remastered / Old Textures)

I noticed raytracing in many games lately when i play with lutris and steam. I never noticed it in Windows. I wonder if raytracing was turned off somehow in windows.

Sample:

Pop! OS 21.10 got released today

3 Likes

Did you allready do the upgrade?

1 Like

I will upgrade tommorow.

2 Likes

Nice. :+1:

I have old graphic card then cannot test that. This card graphic are expensive.

Wish me luck :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Cool! :smiley: Let me know when you finished it!

Installed! the upgrade went very smooth!

Nothing lost...even my manually installed nvidia driver kept installed

The bugs i had in 21.10 beta are all gone. This one looks and feels great!. I did remove the wine repo from hirsute and installed the impish one. This because i installed wine manually in Pop! Os 21.04, Pop! OS 21.10 is based on impish.
Going to install it on my wifes laptop too (HP Pavilion G7-2310ED), she has Pop! OS 21.04 too. Wonder if the wifi and card reader driver needs to get reinstalled. Wifi card needed a newer driver because it got lost in 21.04 after the kernel 5.15 update. Fixed it by following this post.

2 Likes

That went very smooth right?

1 Like

Yeah, second machine (8 years old) no issues either.

2 Likes

That works very well then. :+1:

1 Like

How is it comparing to Zorin ?

I did not test the latest builds of Zorin, last time i used Zorin was at the end of august/first week of september. It would not be fair to compare with a older release vs a newer one.