5 reasons why desktop Linux is finally growing in popularity

2 Likes

For me GNU/Linux (GNU is the OS, Linux is 'just' the kernel that allows GNU to run) is that people forget a key element at the centre of its ethos, apart from the end user having the freedom to do what they want with their computer, is also breathing life into old machines. This prevents e-waste on a large scale, but can only be maintained if an OS is available in 32-bit (Antix, MX-Linux, Devuan to name but 3 that still support 32-bit architecture). Unfortunately 'modern' GNU/Linux appears to be going down the same rabbit hole as smartphone 'ethos' of upgrade to a new device every 2 years.

1 Like

Well, quite frankly, the last time 32-bit cpu's were relevant, was like 24 years ago. 64-bit cpu's showed up in 2004, we've been using them for 20-years, and there is no sign we're going back to antiquated technology.

As such, it's not realistic to ask developers to waste their time to continue updating the kernal for 32-bit systems. Their all too slow to do anything in modern day anyways, so what's the point? At some point you just have to call it.

If anything, it would be a better idea for developers to get a head start, on preparing the Linux kernel, for the future of quantum computing. I expect people will have quantum powered home PCs in like 18 years from now, maybe less.

But I do understand your pointz technology moves along,vso we get lost in the shuffle, it we don't move along with it. But realistically you don't see people using 486 computers anymore, cause their simply useless.

4 Likes