A fond farewell to all

Well the jury is out on that one:

A bit late here- but I too would like to thank you for your time and effort helping me on some trickier things.

Would you be interested in maybe opening a discord server for general chat? Either way, thanks for being awesome all those times!

2 Likes

Caps, not a bad idea, actually. I will create a new discord account for the purpose of troubleshooting. Might be faster and easier than using email as I have been doing…

Thanks for the kind words. Selfishly, however, I have been enjoying some downtime.
Vintage restoration work, mostly as well as several other projects that ended up on the back burner.

1 Like

A guy gets busy with life for several months and comes back to read this…Geesh…

I get what Artyom was saying, trust me, we had our not fully understanding each others points (Although I didn’t read the whole thing that he wrote).

Aravisian, to me you are as much of Zorin as Swarfendor, Artyom & Kyrill. And a few others, such as StarTreker… I’ll have to finish reading this post later, but I hate to lay down the law, I forbid you to leave… As if I had such power…lol
I’m hoping it’s all good now. Especially because I may have some questions I need good, solid answers too…

Well, it would honestly be really nice of the Zorin team can get away from Ubuntu and switch to XFCE or something for the base of the OS. I could be wrong, but the only reason I think they’ve stayed with Ubuntu for as long as they have, is because its what they have always known.

But the Ubuntu that is today, is not the same Ubuntu it was that of yesterday. Too much corruption in Ubuntu, where its really starting to feel like Microsoft, and we must always be wary of that. As the whole reason we began using Linux, was to get away from Microsoft.

The future of Zorin currently is not certain. Both Aravisian and SWARF have left Zorin for other OS distributions. I however am still using Zorin OS, but with XFCE desktop installed. And eventually, I will be forced to upgrade to a new version of Zorin OS.

However, having said that, I won’t be doing that if they stick with Ubuntu in version 16, I will fly away from the coo-coo’s nest as one might say. If they use XFCE as the base, or of anything equivalent and just as good, then I will stick with Zorin OS, in version 16.

Also, too many things changed once we switched over to this forum, and it didn’t take a rocket scientist, to notice the obvious changes. I hardly frequent this sight anymore, but occasionally, I do check it out. It is what it is.

No, I am still using Zorin on my computers.
I retreated from the forum. I did not stop using a good solid OS over that.

Zorin 16 LITE uses XFCE as the base.
I have, however, moved away from XFCE altogether. Zorin 16 will use XFCE 4.14. However, XFCE 4.16 which is CSD, has been released. The next version of Zorin may well use XFCE 4.16.
XFCE 4.16 is geared toward being a Gnome-Clone and your complaints of Ubuntu stem from the decisions being made by Canonical, which also operates Gnome. These are the developers that gave us Flatpack and SNAP/Snapd, which sandbox apps and have security risks. These are the devs that removed modules. And gave us CSD for no other reason than to serve self interest in reducing their workload and asserting their "brand-image" in M$ style.
The XFCE developers have followed Canonicals lead in this and did so to serve self interest. Mark and Nick both lied, directly about these issues and I confronted them quite harshly on the XFCE forum in the past. Mark claimed that the XFCE devs put it to a vote and hat the result was to switch to CSD. They were outed when one of their developers publicly posted that the only 'vote' was between Mark and Nick and everyone else was merely issued orders.
There was a lot that happened at that time. Including Mark claiming that their research showed a large amount of support among users for CSD, When we ran two separate polls that showed very much otherwise, Mark accused us of fudging it, then went into denial, then finally resorted to "You'll take what we give you."
This falling out is what led me to start XFEX currently still underway and my break from this forum has allowed me more time on that; allowing for solving the Border Resize problem in XFWM4 as well as a few other things.
But such a lack of consideration, honesty and integrity means that I will NEVER, under any circumstances, have anything to do with XFCE again.

I check in once in a while. I have not seen a whole lot, but from brief glances, it appears that problems are being solved and questions answered just fine without me.
As far as if anything is resolved- I would say not.

Before Artyom made me a Moderator here and before he removed me as a Moderator here, he had given me a link to Zorin 15 Ultimate. This proved interesting for testing purposes and experiencing the differences between Ultimate and Core/Lite. But it was, for me personally, no reward. This by no means says that Ultimate is lacking in any way. It measn that much of it is not applicable to me personally. For example, it comes with a lot of games. I have no time for games on the computer, so it does not apply to me.

I approached this forum and the ZorinGroup Forum much as I approach mechanical: First, make the personal choice to treat this as your own problem. Second, do not give up when it gets hard. Instead, open yourself up to learning what you need to know to make it easier. The reward for this was in those times I was actually able to, in persistence if not knowledge, help someone out. And even in those times when that persistence restored someone's confidence and made them feel cared about, even if the problem never really did get figured out.
The advent of this forum brought a change- in making the forum less human and caring and more Robotic and Clinical. It's like bing a doctor that cannot personally get to know his patients...
It got to the point that I was walking on eggshells. Tiptoeing so as not to upset anyone. I had gone from checking an engine bay, testing an alternator, then reading unread posts in a smooth manner to Physically Dreading walking over to the computer and subconsciously starting to avoid it. I started following up on threads not out of being glad to help if I could, but out of obligated routine. The free expression and liveliness was being discouraged. The familiarity and bond of people helping others, even while disagreeing on points was gone. Disagreements became impetus to Vilify a person who dared disagree with you, instead of a quirk among friends. We we all treating each other carefully, like strangers that you are not sure whether they might get wildly upset if you step out of line. Hey, at least if I was doing this on a car, I would be getting paid.
When Artyom turned that toward me as if I was to conform to it, I asserted my own power to have Free Choice in how I spend my time and that has not changed any in the time since. Artyom is a Master at setting his personal feelings aside and responding in a Polite and Courteous manner. But I do not feel that he really LISTENED. And his loud and long burst of silence following it added to the effect.
I have been spending more time on things I enjoy, that do not cause anxiety and stress without reward.

1 Like

Hey, I’m a bit late to the party, but beside that, I just like to say that i hope your staying around but whatever your decision is a big thanks for helping around.

Best regards.
Tim

So, when the discord is ready, can you share a link? here or by pm, whatever is acceptable

Oh…
Aravisian#6868

Ok, I am switching from ZorinOS to Arch specifically Garuda. wml. Why am I doing it? Distrohopping.

For those who don’t know, the process of distro hopping looks like this…

1 Like

If you going to use arch linux there is one rule to follow.