A package manager (kind of..) to fix flatpak issues

Few weeks back i faced issues with flatpak version of edge and also vscode has issues with it. Discord also has issues on sharing screen.
So we made a package manager in bash script.

it's in beta and we are not well versed in bash ( it's confusing :confused: ).

If you like it you can try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like this downloads the package from the official project website and installs it, the same way you could manually do as well. It's really nice that this tool checks for latest versions available and update it for you, and the fact that it only supports very few packages probably means a lot of care goes into making sure nothing breaks between updates.

But I wouldn't say this fixes Flatpak issues, that title is a bit misleading.
For example, if you already have Discord installed from Flathub, and then use this tool to "fix" it you will end up with two versions of Discord installed in your system.

This is more a utility tool to work around the limitation of some of these popular packages that may not be available as .deb files on the official repositories. But it's pretty cool to have nonetheless.

1 Like

Yeah , we just install the .tar.gz package, if not available then we can only support whatever that application supports.
Doing it manually is an option but this just makes it easier.

But I wouldn't say this fixes Flatpak issues, that title is a bit misleading.
For example, if you already have Discord installed from Flathub, and then use this tool to "fix" it you will end up with two versions of Discord installed in your system.

I was thinking the same today , will ask user if he has installed ( something like this ).

If you have any app suggestions , lmk :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand why you would create install scripts to easily (re)install these packages...but it is far from a package manager. I've done something similar to install Jenkins, Nginx and GitLab into a VM for my DevOps Mentorship.

You check if there is an install script for a package, but you don't check that the link you curl is active. This will cause an issue if the link goes down or is changed to a different location. More than possible with newer versions being released.