A WiFi Dongle For Linux - Zorin

I have noticed quite a few people asking about buying and using a dongle that will work on Zorin ..... I have one and have been using it for at least 4 months .....

With the help of Aravisian who found the drivers on line and made a list of terminal commands we managed to get it install ..... here is how we did it and where to get the dongle .....

Now this dongle comes with WiFi and Bluetooth or if you don't need Bluetooth some places like Newegg and Amazon sell one without Bluetooth ....

First the dongle:

SOURCE

Please see the answer to the second question .... it says for Linux find the driver online ..... Aravisian already did that for you ... see instructions

INSTRUCTIONS

Now the magic supplied by Aravisian ......

Aravisian

19h

I would go with the cilynx repo:

![|16x32](file:///tmp/lu7507784kmy0.tmp/lu7507784kmy6_tmp_beeef952abf25e4a.gif) GitHub

GitHub - cilynx/rtl88x2bu: rtl88x2bu driver updated for current kernels.

rtl88x2bu driver updated for current kernels. Contribute to cilynx/rtl88x2bu development by creating an account on GitHub.

git clone https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu.git

cd rtl88x2bu

VER=$(sed -n 's/\PACKAGE_VERSION="\(.*\)"/\1/p' dkms.conf)

sudo rsync -rvhP ./ /usr/src/rtl88x2bu-${VER}

sudo dkms add -m rtl88x2bu -v ${VER}

sudo dkms build -m rtl88x2bu -v ${VER}

sudo dkms install -m rtl88x2bu -v ${VER}

sudo dkms install -m rtl88x2bu -v ${VER}

Using DKMS should prevent you from having the wifi fail if the kernel gets upgraded.

Please follow all the steps laid out above and your dongle will now work .... no disk required

5 Likes

Or you could get a second hand Netgear WG111 v3 off eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Netgear-Wg111v3/45002/bn_7023302991?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336728181&customid=&toolid=10001

They work out of the box. 2.4 Ghz band only and WPA2 compliant. It should be noted that whilst 2.4 GHz is slower than 5 GHz it offers a more stable connection and fewer disconnects/reconnects.

Or get ones that are known to work from thinkpenguin.com:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/networking-gear-gnu-linux

The latest standards for security are WPA3 - OpenWrt 21.02 Arrives With Linux Kernel 5.4 & WPA3 Support

Open wrt has a list of routers that can be modified. If your ISP provided you with a router they will have stripped all the decent chips out for their own inferior chipset. So the other side to this in respect of wifi is to invest in a customisable router.

1 Like

Holy ■■■■. I've been struggling with this driver for a while and have been all over the place looking for answers. Why I didn't look in the Zorin forums first is beyond me. Update errors are gone and it seems faster (may not really be). Thanks for this!

1 Like

Your welcome glad it could be some help out all the credit goes to Aravisian as he came up with the magic to make this thing work ..... I just made the post as I saw a lot of people struggling with using a USB WiFi dongle ......

3 Likes

For those who know a little about GENERIC WiFi-dongles, these in the screenshot cost a nickle and a dime and are outstanding good, fits the Linux-toolbox very well if your PCI-card is a little exotic and needs an extra driver.
I have bought 5 almost 4 years ago ... In my Toolbox for Linux this is a super small yet very good working dongle. And it works out-of-the-box from kernel 2.30 and higher. The price, mind the 15-day shipping-costs !, are set in EURO.

1 Like

If you don't mind 2.4ghz only, this $7.50 dongle is plug and play and works fine. I get 50mbps quite a long way from the router.

This will do 5ghz for $23. Driver installs with one commad line from their website.

sh -c 'wget linux.brostrend.com/install -O /tmp/install && sh /tmp/install'

It's quite a bit bigger tho. But it's more adjustable.

2 Likes

Buyers need to be aware though that if their built-in WiFi card also supports Bluetooth they need to find a dongle that will support Bluetooth as well as WiFi .....

I'm not sure if just the WiFi part of the built-in can go bad and the Bluetooth will continue to work or not ..... mine would not ..... also if you have a separate WiFi & Bluetooth card you should be OK .... again not sure if they make those .....

1 Like