A Zorin and Pop_OS question

@Aravisian Thanks for the information. I also did a research but I thought I would double check with the community to make sure this was the case. I am not too concerned with received new operating systems so fast but at least something reasonable like two years, as long as an operating system is maintained for a few years that is fine. Anyway, installing a new operating system from scratch isn't something fun to do (if there is no upgrade path) since you have to backup everything, reinstall, etc.

But good to know. I do prefer the layout options of Zorin. I originally thought, from an article, that it was community maintained by is instead maintained by two person, it does seem to me it is more community oriented and not controlled by companies unlike POP_OS (nothing against POP_OS here just a preference). The community is also a plus like I said before.

Anyway thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have learned... the hard way... to back up often. It is not because Zorin OS is unstable. It is because my experiments in lInux often are.
And I am a slow learner.

That said, the vast majority of my back ups deal with files, not with reinstalling the OS. But it helps. A lot.

I do not use third-party apps to back up. I just compress the Home Folder.
Ok... that is not quite accurate... I compress the directories within home folder that I wish to keep backed up and current.

Direct Upgrade path...
I do not know if you have ever performed one, but I have tested it on Ubuntu. Unlike installing Zorin OS, the Direct Upgrade takes about three or four hours and you must watch it to click "ok" as it goes on occasion. A good book is essential. Preferably with small words since the computer and internet are off limits.
On top of this, it wreaks havoc with the Sources. That all must be straightened out once the Direct Upgrade is complete. Given a choice between the two - I would go Fresh Install with a Fresh clean start any day.
That being said, the Zorin Group has been working on a Direct Upgrade (By popular demand) option and hopes to release one late this year. Hopes...
Throughout my run on Zorin OS, one thing I have noticed is that those two people manage to make certain aspects of Linux faster and easier than you would think possible.
Can they "fix" Direct Upgrade? I have no idea. Time will tell. For me, I will compress my home directories in the meantime.

I do backup often as well, on Windows I was using Syncbackup. I found an alternative you may want to try called KBackup under Linux. I didn't find an option to have it compress for me but I don't really care for it that much since I'll be storing everything in my NAS anyways and then I do critical offline backups after all manually for the time being.

Well I guess it is not all that bad, if it can't happen it can't. The important is to have a backup / restore plan.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Changed from General to Chat.