About Software Center

Hai, I'm new user of Zorin OS and before this have familiar with Linux Lite, due Zorin OS look like Windows 7 that's why I change to Zorin OS. I have get new update today for Zorin but after updating I see Software Center Repo have change, if I want to get latest update of software must be re-install. I see after update, repo change to Snap Repo like in Ubuntu 20.04. The questions is, it is normal to change repo to Snap after get update?

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for pointing it out.
I noticed the big update came for Zorin (and MXLinux for my husband) this morning.
I looked at the Software centre and saw 5 updates.

This I have no answer since I (luckily) do not have SNAP on my system. I hope other volunteers on this forum can answer this question.

[edit]
I click on "update" in this windows but the update process seems stuck. As I said in other post on this forum, I will not look into this further since I have to reinstall everything when the final version of Zorin 16 is out.

[edit of edit]
I could not resist my curiosity :wink:
I solved this issue by following the instruction on this page:

you can bring up the gnome-system-monitor and kill the gnome-software process and then restart the update procedure again.

1 Like

@faridrid Which version and flavour of ZorinOs do you have e.g. Z15.3 Core, Lite etc or Maybe Z16 Core Beta?

As FP mentions, there was a OS Update today, but unlike @FrenchPress no other software updates were listed for me.

I am not sure where you are seeing this:

I cannot myself find anything like that. Can you post a screenshot here.

Edit: Something comes to mind that happened some months back (January) when Software Store appearance differed from normal and "Amazon EKS" advert was prominent. I wonder if this is the sort of thing you are seeing? Again a screenshot would help.

Something tell me that you do not have any Flatpak installed.

1 Like

I using Zorin OS 15.3 Core.

Same here. But I do not understand what you are seeing.

Before update I see the discription that source for bionic universe. After update I see that discription software source change to Snap Store and that software not installed even have installed before. So I re-install to get latest update.

I fired up my Acer laptop with Zorin 15,3.
After this big update, I failed to see any changes in software sources. The only thing I can think of is something to do with SNAP apps. Could you tell up if you have any apps installed as SNAP by issuing this command in terminal?

snap list

You may have already had the latest version. The snap and flatpak store versions have different version numbers and are updated by the developers of those packages more often than apt or .Deb packages because they're easier to update. You installed the snap version which may be the same version that was stand alone. Snaps and flatpak apps are sandboxed and may not work correctly if they need access to certain areas of your system.... most of us have removed those two from the app store source option so we don't have to deal with them. The snap and flatpak idea is commendable, but the implementation is far from the dream that they had.

1 Like