Acer laptop displays Acer --> Zorin --> Acer logos but doesn't boot up

Got into Terminal. Entered command "sudo fdisk -1" and I get this message "fdisk: invalid command -- '1' ". Tried again, making sure spaces and spellings are correct. Get the same message.

Just to confirm, it is "minus one" and not "minus [alphabet L]".

In GRUB menu, under advanced, I think there's a repair boot command. I am not saying it will work, I am just saying its something to try.

Since I got the USB to boot up in safe mode, I am going to try to reinstall Zorin to see if it will work and then will let you know outcome.

Its just got to work, cause you have the same name as one of my favorite characters in the show Star Trek Deep Space 9, he's full character name was Julian Bashier, he played the doctor. So lets hope the re-install and treats you right.

Hahaha. DS9 was a good show. I do love the new Star Trek Discovery and Voyager. The funny thing is that Enterprise (vessel NX-01) looked more advanced that the original KIrk's Enterprise in the 1960s TV series. I know they were produced at different times but it is just interesting.

Something to help lighten the mood, as I myself need the stress reducer right now lol.

Archers Ship

Kirks Ship

The "integrity problem ... X509 certificate" that I noticed. I discovered the resolution as listed below:

Apparently it is a problem with ACER laptops but doesn't cause any problems to the system, and can ignore it. Just FYI.

Cool. Will save these images.

Yes, I actually saw that too. But that was the reason I did not post it. There appears to be no resolution in regards to that, and its just some weird BIOS certificate issue that we are not able to resolve.

The reinstall still wouldn't boot up and gets stuck at the 2nd ACER logo display. I did press ESC when powering up and got into GNU GRUB

So what do I do next?

I was thinking about having you run boot repair under advanced options. If this doesn't work, you might have to wait on someone else to answer.

How do I run boot repair?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D3kLFghupgik&ved=2ahUKEwio8qHyxKjzAhVESPEDHZ7CD8k4ChCjtAF6BAgGEAE&usg=AOvVaw3liqQ5EbYtgWiVtjyHC8-d

Hi Bourne, Thanks for weighing in. My problem is that whilst Zorin can be installed into the harddrive, when I then try to boot it up, it displays Acer logo, then Zorin logo and then Acer logo and then stops.

So StarTrekker had suggested I get into the GRUB menu but couldn't get in using LEFT SHIFT key, so he suggested ESC key and that worked.

Now that I got into the GRUB page what do I do to solve by unable to launch Zorin Lite 15.3? The GRUB page is a black screen with GRUB> prompt. There is no items to select.

Now things have gotten weird. Reinstall Zorin 15.3 Lite through safe mode. All done. Press "Restart" and a whole bunch of items saying "sd 4:0:0:0 [sdb] tag#0 access beyond end of device". This line is new, never seen it before.

At the bottom it then says "SQUASHFS error: sqyash_read_data failed to read block 0x7be498c3" and 2 other SQUASHFS errors which says "unable to read metadata cache entry [7be498c3]" and "unable to read inode 0x34741ac8".

Then it says "Remove installation medium, then press enter".
So I removed medium and pressed enter.
Then the BIOS blue screen displayed something MOK, and I selected "Boot".

Now it has gone into the Zorin desktop page. I wonder if it will reboot if I shut down the laptop.

Well I restarted and it managed to boot up. Landed on the Zorin desktop page.

The only thing I did differently is not set up the wi-fi connections during installation.

So really no idea what to do to solve the problem if it happens again.

I can't see anyone answering your question, but it is fdisk -l (letter not number), i.e. "-l" for list option.

maybe he need install sudo apt install fdisk.
I have also the same command before not installed.
When I started grub with live usb or recovery i go to grub. then I edit grub with command sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Maybe it could help him also edit file grub
(or open to check what he have them wrote)
to main hard disk where he can also edit this file on main hard disk.

Thanks zabadabadoo. i will remember that.

1 Like

Do you have nomodeset in grub?
The grub parameter nomodeset delays activation of the Nvidia graphics, booting with the base Intel Graphics until init can fully run Nvidia.

I haven't checked if I have nomodeset in grub. Having installed zorin 15.3 without enabling the wifi, it now works. However it now ask me to install a large update/package 500MB which includes nvidia applications/etc. I am concern that if I do, the problem will recur. Should I install the update or just ignore it for now.