Activate radeon rx 6700 xt in multi-monitor after replacing nvidea card

It also helps if you're familiar enough with the system to know where to look for what needs to be done next. I see it's now marked, and I'm not sure who is responsible for that, but I thank them if it was not by my actions before.

I'm glad it's fixed, despite me having to spend all day every day on it for a few days. I did find some of the issues that arose to be quite interesting, but damned annoying at the time.

This is one of the reasons I participate on this forum as I do; The frustrating problems, even if not directly my own, lead me to learning more.

The weirdest oddity was the change to the amdgpu-pro-install script. On a new build of Zorin 16 the first attempted change corrupted the login script in some way, but a different change allowed everything to work properly. In both cases the driver installed, but the first try wouldn't allow me to log in after a restart, but the 2nd change did work properly. Yet the difference was so minor I can't see why there was a difference in the effect.

line 142 within the code to check the OS release was:

case "$ID" in
ubuntu linuxmint debian)

the one below failed to allow login after restart

case "$ID" in
zorin linuxmint debian)

while this version works perfectly

case "$ID" in
zorin ubuntu linuxmint

logically the last two should give them same result, but they don't and I can't think of any reason for it. That's more frustrating than the more than a dozen system rebuilds I did while troubleshooting this.

Total agreement. Usually, when this happens to me in .css, I find that I had a ";" missing in a line somewhere up above or something similar.

I keep my css as short as I can while still including all I want in it. But I now restrict my html to basic stuff and what I need as a xhtml file for making a epub for the stories I publish. Unlike most, I put all of the css script into the epub xhtml file so I KNOW it's there not matter what.

This is the preferred method... But I actually go the other way. As I am currently not doing it professionally or for webpages... I keep the classes and styles present, even if containing nothing or even commented out... In hopes that it helps an Up and Coming Linux Themer behind me to learn .css and customize on their own.
The hardest part of learning gtk.css on your own is not knowing what selector, property or class...I know given my struggles with doing so.
So what comes with my themes is often probably double or triple what is actually needed in length, but can act as a template for someone else to take it make it entirely their own without so much headache.
While typing this reply, I am making a theme in (gtk3 portion anyway) all css with no assets whatsoever, just for the practice it teaches me.

You may be interested in a real oddity I came across earlier today. I have an SSD drive I had been using as an external data drive able to move between Zorin and Windows, so I had it formatted as NTFS. I access it through a USB cable. Deciding I was only going to use it on Zorin in future I used GPARTED to reformat it as EXT 4 - but I was locked out of the drive as it was formatted with the only allowed user groups being ROOT and without a Root Terminal it's not easy to change the owner on the drive. I went back into GPARTED and reformatted the drive as NTFS again, and it now showed the allowed user group as being my login. It seems GPARTED only want to let ROOT access Linux drives but will allow the user to access a Windows drive.

On CSS I learned it to be able to make small accurate xhtml files for creating clean epubs and I did it by looking at what others did and trial and error. I have a section of code I copy into each story file and that code includes every paragraph and character format I'm likely to use in a story. That way I don't need to work out which ones to put in or take out as they're all there. Thus in the story I simply apply the appropriate class where needed and it's all correct.

1 Like

Oh, just in case you've not heard this:

Have you heard the best way to deal with a grub problem?

You take it to the lake and use the grub as bait while fishing.

1 Like

The file system that Linux uses helps determine permissions. NTFS is purely a Windows filing system. On an external drive, a Linux distro can access and read it... but not make Filing System changes.
If you reformat your drive to ext4 and find yourself locked out, you can usually do

sudo chown $USER:$USER '/media/$USER/dev/sdaX'

to regain it. Change $USER and sdaX accordingly for your system.

"I told that fish...
You better clean your plate.
I didn't come out here with half a grub and I am not going back with one."

I'll keep that in mind for the future, but I've already got it as NTFS with about 120 GB of data backed up onto it, so I'll just keep it as it is as it works. I don't believe in 'fixing' things that work well at what's wanted.

1 Like

Here to say I'm having a similar issues with my 6700XT. I can only use my Intel iGPU to install Zorin while my 6700XT isn't able to be used. I've tried to boot with only a monitor connected to the AMD GPU, but get "IGC 0000:05:00.0 no suspend buffer for PTM" error on the GRUB and unable to boot. I tried updating the drivers with AMDGPUPRO, but that ruined my installation and had to reinstall entirely. Here are the terminal read outs

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 05)
DeviceName: Onboard - Video
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8694
Kernel driver in use: i915

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 22 [Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT / 6800M] (rev c1)
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 0e36
Kernel modules: amdgpu
03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21 HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT]
[11:31 AM]
ronin@ronin:~$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x45 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting

IT does seem that my AMD card is detecting, but it isn't capable of being use as a provider? I'm a bit new to linux here hence the reason I went with Zorin, but I'm really stumped on this one

Nvidia is my expertise, but if your AMD card is very new you might want to install a newer kernel which hopefully contains driver for your card.