Airplane Mode

You can also install it...

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.11.0-37-generic linux-modules-5.11.0-37-generic linux-image-5.11.0-37-generic linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-37-generic

1 Like

Goodmorning Michel & Aravisian
Well this is what I have accomplished so far. I had Zorin, with Linux 5.11.0-43-generic and Zorin, with Linux 5.11.0-41-generic available to me to restore. I tried Aravisian sudo apt install linux-headers-5.11.0-37-generic linux-modules-5.11.0-37-generic linux-image-5.11.0-37-generic linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-37-generic and it did not work with version 5.11.0-43-generic. So I tried version 5.11.0-41-generic and with the command line it worked to restore 5.11.0-37-generic. Well then I rebooted and put 5.11.0-37-generic. Sorry to say I still can't get rid of airplane mode? Question it is an old laptop could the Wi-Fi fail on board the laptop? This is why it will not come out of airplane mode?

I have no idea, will do some search for you.

It appears to be a problem in Ubuntu 20.04 too on which Zorin 16 is based:

Hi Michel
What funny is that my Wi-Fi worked? Then reason I can get on-line with my laptop is I tether it to my cell phone and it works. I wonder if I can buy a USB Wi-Fi plug and see if that can be a work around for now and maybe they will find a fix that can be put in an update in the future. If I decide to try that I will let the forum know.

1 Like

It is entirely possible. I would not consider it the strongest possibility at this time.
Some users just use a USB Wifi Dongle in such circumstances, too.

Hi Aravisian
Well I tried and I should have known that they all come with a CD, for Apple and Windows NOT for Linux, so I brought it back to the store and maybe they will find the problem and send us a fix for it. In the mean time I can still use the direct tether from my phone and it work well. If you can think of anything in the mean time I will be glad to try. Thank You to all the users for the advise. I knew this would be a learning curve to switch to Linux and I do appreciate everyone patience's in this matter.

Vinny, what is your make and model of notebook?

Lenovo T530 ThinkPad it also has a SSD Drive

Please scroll down to Post #24 here:

Hi Aravisian
I found the command it wanted me to input and it said sudo: tee/etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad.conf: command not found

This one?

echo "blacklist ideapad_laptop" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad.conf > /dev/null

Sorry I did try it as you typed it with no luck, after putting in the command string I got a return of

[sudo] password for vinny: echoblacklist ideapad: command not found

sudo: tee/etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad.conf: command not found

I do not understand why when you post the response that gave you "command not found" the spaces in the command are all wrong.
Can you please Copy and Paste the command into your terminal?

1 Like

and the " " marks too! :wink:

2 Likes

Goodmorning Aravisian
As you can see aftering the command statement it asked for my password were you see the space I entered my password pressed enter, then it printed the next line that starts with suto:

Look at your command and the one @Aravisian posted. Your still missing spaces (or the _laptop part). It won't work if you don't take it over correctly!

Why don't you copy and paste it into the terminal ? like users suggested already ?

echo "blacklist ideapad_laptop" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad.conf > /dev/null

Here a sample:

1 Like

If you prefer GUI:

sudo -i

nautilus

Navigate to /etc/modprobe.d and right click an open area in the directory.
Create a New Document.
Name it thinkpad.conf
Place this line into that document:

blacklist ideapad_laptop

Save and exit.

Hi Aravisian
As you requested everything is done. Since the command line was long I took Michel advice and cut and paste the line. then after doing what you requested I took a screen shot and this is what I received.

1 Like

Good job! Does it make any difference ?