All Most Did It .... Would Have Been A Big Mistake

And here dear friends is how I get myself in trouble when I don't really need to change anything .... I was browsing through some old posts on the forum and found one that NayamAmarshe made on how to update your Kernel to latest version if you needed to ....

I followed the steps outlined in the post and without finishing the rest of the post almost decided to try Version 6 which is the latest one on the list ...... but something told me to read a little more and sure enough I found someone who tried Kernel 6 and had to reinstall their old version ....

Thank god I didn't go through with it because I don't know how to roll back to a previous kernel ..... I think you have to use grub but have no idea how as I have never tied it before .... which probably saved me THIS TIME .....

One of my biggest faults and problems I have on Zorin .... Win 10 doesn't matter cause I can't change anything on there if I wanted to except maybe in the Registry .... is that I see stuff on the board and even though I may not have that problem I want to try it ....

Another good example is a post I read today by Aravisian to someone who was having a problem with the Steam download and told them to use the terminal to install Steam .... I was going to try that but my Steam is working just fine but again the temptation was still there ....

So now you understand why I ask questions here on the board instead of searching the web to answer my questions because all I do is get myself in trouble .... the answers I get here are tried and true not something that is out of date or wrong for me to install on my OS ....

Now if I can control myself from installing things that I read from this board it will make my life and yours a whole lot simpler .....

Copy of 8c507ff4e424d22a83e070be98ea752ed69f91b9

3 Likes

Ha Ha .... yeah, I have to slap my face every time I come here because I do as you, I see and example and I think that maybe I should try it. :slight_smile: Of course now, not so bad if I mess up because I have backups.

Windows Registry, what memories. Regedt32 can do a lot of harm, always best to backup the registry first though.

1 Like

Yup me too .... that is the first line of defense if your gonna fool around with changing anything except the vanilla version of Zorin .... in fact I'm due to do another Rescuezilla backup today .... if I can keep my fingers outta stuff ..... :rofl: :rofl:

disguised_face

1 Like

Me, too. I was probably the one you're talking about attempting to install Linux kernel 6.0.9. Luckily the ZFS file system saves snapshots and adds them to the Grub menu, so rolling back was as easy as rebooting and selecting a date and time from before my tinkering took place.

Just today, I was exploring how to remove old ZFS snapshots... apparently I removed too many and I got an error message, then Linux started acting wonky, so I whipped out my USB stick, reinstalled and set everything back up (it went much quicker the second time), and I'm back up and running.

Which brings to mind a question... is there some way of getting Linux to your desired settings, then burning an installation of that to a USB stick, so reinstallation is as simple as popping that USB stick in, booting it, and waiting until it's done? Because that'd be awesome.

1 Like

:grinning: .... Yes sir it was you but I don't like to put people on the spot so I refrain from using someones handle unless I know they wouldn't be offended .....

What I do is use Rescuezilla (RZ) as it makes a complete backup of everything .... partitions .... settings ... apps and everything on your HD .... if you need to reinstall Zorin you can also do it through RZ also ..... very simple and easy to use ....

You just have to have a good backup copy because if you don't you will carry over any problems to your new install cause like I said it backups EVERYTHING .... I just did a new backup a few minutes ago as everything seems to be working OK with my OS at present ....

Rescuezilla is an update to Clonezilla which they made much easier to use and when it comes to simple .... simple is my middle name .... I did a T & G on how to use the program on the board somewhere ... just do a search of Rescuezilla and you will find it .... has pictures of each step ....

The only downside I can find is you have to put the app on a bootable drive and copy to a different drive .... but that to me is a good thing so if you really mess up or can't boot into Zorin you use the RZ boot and reinstall the OS ....

Another draw back is you need a large second drive or maybe thumb drive if you can get one .... I use a 1 TB USB drive and that works just fine ... I have multiple backups like maybe 4-5 and still have more than 500 GB space left .... but I could have gotten away with a 500 GB drive as long as you have at least 2 backups on it .... I just don't like deleting a backup unless I have to ... just a safety feature for me .... :+1: ..... anyhow that's what I does ..... :grinning:

Rolling back the kernel is fortunately not difficult.
Boot into the Advanced Options for Zorin and select the earlier kernel to boot from.
Once logged in, use Synaptic or Terminal to remove the latest kernel.

1 Like

This is the reason why i stopped testing the latest of the latest stuff like i did back in januari 2022 (always needed the latest kernel, always needed the latest nvidia driver). Since i don't test these things anymore i don't have any issues with my installement. Back then i had a few times black screen during booting for sample, just because the latest nvidia driver had a bug in the driver and needed to force shut down.

I now wait for proper drivers that comes with pop shop or via terminal.

If things are working fine, dont try to make it better.

5 Likes

Nvidia released that driver on 28 November ... pop os just send the update through....that's why i don't mess to install it manually anymore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.