All my desktop shortcuts are broken and other problems

I get the following output:
toedliches_auge@ToedlicherPC-linux-zorin:~$ chmod 644 /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so
chmod: Zugriff auf '/usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

toedliches_auge@ToedlicherPC-linux-zorin:~$ chown -R root /usr/lib/sud
chown: Zugriff auf '/usr/lib/sud' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

toedliches_auge@ToedlicherPC-linux-zorin:~$ chmod 644 /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so
chmod: Unable to access '/usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so': File or directory not found

toedliches_auge@ToedlicherPC-linux-zorin:~$ chown -R root /usr/lib/sud
chown: Unable to access '/usr/lib/sud': file or directory not found

It was a shot. It is not finding due to those directories not being in Home Directory.
This is a catch-22... you need to elevate to sudo in order to adjust sudo file...:expressionless:

If you launch File Manager and navigate to /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so and right click sudoers.so, move to permissions, what does the Popover show?
Same for '/usr/lib/sud'

I cant find these. If I search for sudo (in /usr/lib) the only I get is this.

I have fond a file named sudoers. but it is in etc not in usr/lib/sudo/. Is this file to right one? If it is then this is the pop up:

I'm sorry, my path was wrong. Of course, it shows it in your quoted material - but I was moving too fast.

chmod 644 /usr/libexec/sudo/sudoers.so

this is what I get from the console:
toedliches_auge@ToedlicherPC-linux-zorin:~$ chmod 644 /usr/libexec/sudo/sudoers.so
chmod: Beim Setzen der Zugriffsrechte für '/usr/libexec/sudo/sudoers.so': Vorgang nicht zulässig

chmod: When setting access rights for '/usr/libexec/sudo/sudoers.so': operation not permitted

And this is the pop up from the file:

It shows as owned by root...

I keep needing to attend other details and be away from the computer, so I am operating while distracted. Let me either return to this in a bit - or another use may offer help soon.

I just noticed something else. For some reason my hard drive just fills up. There were still 200 GB free and now they are full. I then uninstalled a game and the free space gradually filled up. I don't know if this information helps in any way.

I don't know, but somehow I think a fresh install might be best, but I would prefer not to reinstall. What do you think? If so, is there a way to reinstall Zorin so, that my files, data, installed programs, etc. still remain there and only Zorin itself is reinstalled?

This sounds like /var/log may be filling.
You might check jounralctl or clean out logs with

sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=1s

and see if that space used is reduced.

I pretty much always think a fresh install is best.
I, too, suffer from wanting to avoid it. But the reality is, it is never as bad as I fear and it reduces clutter, clears out junk I have forgotten about and gives a nice fresh clean start. This reduces conflicts that build up, as well.

I do back up personal files, docs, music, etc on an external drive.
For reinstalling software, I use this method:

Sorry for the delays and short messages: It is hectic here...

1 Like

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't get to Zorin anymore. All I get is the following picture:

I will now reinstall Zorin.

Ok, I have now reinstalled Zorin. But when I try to recover my data I get the following error message:

You can try installing the missing packages:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/install-python3-pydrive-on-ubuntu-debian-linux-apt-get-command/

Using pip from above you can install the google API client:

sudo pip install google-api-python-client

1 Like

Ok, I will try, when I am back on PC.

it worked

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.