Allow multiple simultaneous VNC connections

Is it possible to enable multiple simultaneous VNC connections to ZorinOS? I notice if I try to VNC from a client when another client is already connected, the connection is rejected. I know VNC protocol supports multiple simultaneous connections from the same user, as this was my previous setup with Fedora. But I cannot see any config option to control this behavior. Really nice if we need to resort to installing a different VNC server to achieve this..

P.S. I did purchase ZorinOS 12, fully support this awesome project, just testing out ZorinOS 16 Core before I purchase pro. VNC client is RealVNC from Windows 10 (yuck!).

did you try adjusting that from real vnc? there should be a setting/check box that limits the amount of connections.

Just checked and on the VNC viewer connection properties "Shared connection (do not disconnect other viewers) is checked. I believe this is a server-side configuration, not client-side.

i don't use realvnc but i use other vnc and i don't have any issue connecting to either zorin 15 or 16 from multiple control computers. i use vino on the remote computers and i use different vnc applications on the controller side. mostly apple remote desktop and another app that uses chicken vnc under the hood. are your remote computers using realvnc? you said you changed it on vncviewer, which i believe is on your side/control side, correct?

So I finally figured this out. Vino used to be the default VNC server in Ubuntu, but that is now deprecated and replaced with "gnome-remote-desktop" according to

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Vino

And there is an open bug with gnome-remote-desktop "Support multiple simultaneous VNC clients to connect to a session", i.e. this new VNC server does not support what vino did:

Disabling remote desktop sharing in Zorin settings and installing and configuring vino restores the ability to access your Zorin desktop from multiple clients simultaneously. My use case for this is I use Zorin as a dashboard for home automation displayed remotely on a ChromeBit (using Remina), and I also need to VNC from other computers to my Zorin box to edit/update this dashboard.

Here are the steps I took to install vino:

sudo apt install vino
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled false
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino authentication-methods "['vnc']"
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino vnc-password $(echo -n "mypassword"|base64)
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false

Your settings may differ, you can list all Vino settings using:

gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.Vino

To run the server use /usr/lib/vino/vino-server
To run this on startup, add this command to list of Startup programs in Startup Application Preferences GUI.

i've been using vino for a long time and have a lot of info on that, i thought you were trying to get realvnc to work for you.

here is my vino workflow, sometimes there is a vino already in there, so it's been best practice to just start from scratch and remove it and reinstall.

sudo apt remove -y vino && sudo apt install -y vino

TO GET IT TO BOOT:
sudo nano /etc/sudoers.d/vinosrv.sh

add this:
#! /bin/bash
/usr/lib/vino/vino-server

then give permission to run:
sudo chmod +x /etc/sudoers.d/vinosrv.sh

INDIVIDUAL:
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino vnc-password $(echo -n 'h'|base64)
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled false
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino authentication-methods "['vnc']"
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino notify-on-connect false

ALL COMMANDS:
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino vnc-password $(echo -n 'h'|base64) && gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false && gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled false && gsettings set org.gnome.Vino authentication-methods "['vnc']" && gsettings set org.gnome.Vino notify-on-connect false

*>add this to startup items and checkbox it
mkdir ~/.config/autostart
nano ~/.config/autostart/remote_desktop.desktop

Add this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=Remote_Desktop
Comment=
Exec=systemctl --user start vino-server
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
RunHook=0
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false

reboot:
sudo reboot

*the only place this might differ is when making the autostart item - i'm using lite and xfce, you might be using core and gnome.

OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

you might need:
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;

or you might be able to get rid of the whole line

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.