Always show Grub menu on boot?

As the title says... anyone know how to do this?

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE to menu:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

Tap ctrl+x to exit the editor, the y key to say yes to save, the enter key to save current config.
Run

sudo update-grub

to make the change take effect.

Awesome, I was able to set the resolution used and the timeout before the OS booted. Thanks.

1 Like

Ok, it was a bit more complicated than I'd first surmised... the freeze-at-boot-up issue I was experiencing was triggered by installing the Synaptic driver, but that may just be that the Grub menu reached a certain length and started glitching.

So in /etc/default/grub, I'd had this:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

That gave the 'fancy' Grub menu, but I believe that's glitchy. I now have it set to:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_TERMINAL=console
GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

I uncommented the GRUB_TERMINAL=console line and dropped the resolution back down to 640x480. I get the plain old textual Grub menu, but at least the machine's booting into the desktop now.

I created a Grub Menu Theme that I use in order to have fancy, without any glitchy.

Well, apparently it's not the Grub menu, either... I do the installation, then allow all the updates to install, and then it starts happening.

What's weird is that if I roll back, that is good for exactly one run... if I reboot, that snapshot will lock up right before the desktop loads. If I try to roll back to that snapshot again, it'll continue locking up.

If I roll back to the next-previous snapshot, that one is again good for only one run... if I reboot, that snapshot will lock up right before the desktop loads, and if I try to roll back to that snapshot again, it'll continue locking up.

It'll do that all the way back to the original snapshot, whereupon the computer won't boot at all.

I'll create a new thread and do more in-depth troubleshooting.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.