AMD Radeon RX 560 / Graphics Look Horrible! Please HELP!

What screen resolution are you using?
What frequency?
Is this a notebook or PC?
What Graphics card are you using?
EDIT: Habit... sorry... AMD Radeon RX560 - got it lol

It's an AMD Radeon RX 560, the default it came up as is 1920x1080, 74.97hz, scale is at 100%. This is a desktop computer with a 22" LG monitor. I do graphics designing so it's a pretty decent system.

Hey, I just changed the resolution to 1680x1050 and it's much clearer!

What is the terminal output of:

xrandr --verbose | grep "TearFree"

I get this...

desktop@desktop-X470-AORUS-GAMING-5-WIFI:~$ xrandr --verbose | grep "TearFree"
TearFree: auto

Ok... You might try a different refresh rate- 60hz maybe (59) or you may try changing the tearfree option with AMD GPU to "on"
You can open a file manager with sudo -i and then nautilus in terminal.
Then... Actually... Let me find you a guide.
Here:

Essentially, you are just creating a new config .conf file in /etc/x11 with the following content:

Section "Device"
Identifier "AMD Graphics"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

1 Like

Ok, cool! Hey, thank you so much! I have to run, but I'll work on your suggestions a bit later!

Appreciate it!

1 Like

To keep things organised on here, may I suggest you start a new thread for your sound malfunction problem.

1 Like

Thank you, but I actually solved my sound issue already. Since it's already mentioned here I'll just post what I did, because I think it was related to my video garbled text problem as well. So if anyone is having these issues (probably not) it will be right here.

Here's what I think happened...

I had my HDMI monitor plugged in obviously using an HDMI cable. I was coming out of the monitor HDMI, but when I was plugging it into the back of my computer I was using an HDMI to DVI-D adapter. So I wasn't going IN to the HDMI port directly. I was doing that because if I didn't my computer would not show the BIOS boot up options for some reason.

That being the case I think it was messing with my refresh rates and it was also messing with my sound. I have a small speaker sound bar under my monitor. It has an 1/8" sound plug that I plug into the back of my monitor. The HDMI should then connect that to my sound card via the HDMI cable. But that DVI-D adapter must have been messing things up because it wouldn't detect my HDMI output device. As soon as I removed the adapter and plugged the HDMI cable directly into the HDMI port on the back of the computer the sound started working because I could finally see and select the HDMI output that was missing before when the adapter was plugged in. This all works fine in Windows 10 with the adapter, that's why I didn't really think of that at first.

Also, as Aravisian suggested, I had previously changed the refresh rate to 60hz and the graphics issue was immediately solved. But now that I was going straight into the HDMI port I decided to check my screen resolution settings and it detected and set the refresh rate back to 74.97hz and it was still working perfectly.

Long story short on this whole thing... If I hadn't had that DVI-D adapter installed none of these issues would have happened. Ugggg!!!!

Thanks to all for the help. I have everything working and am now able to play around inside Zorin. It's really very nice.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I should have asked you how the monitor is connected first!
I do have one of those and I also encountered a similar issue while playing with RaspberryPi.

Memo to myself.

1. Ask the mode of monitor connection
  2. Suggest soap and water to clean :eyeglasses: :wink:

My current setup is HDMI using a VGA adapter. Two monitors, both HDMI, but only one HDMI port on my video card and the other is VGA. It gave me two distinct troubles right off the bat:

• The monitor blinks out if a window is dragged from one monitor to another, if the .css for the theme contains any instance of color #555555. Straaange... I tested this for month. By removing any hex 555, it works. Any hex 555, even just one call for it - it blanks out for a second.
  • The adapter monitor is slightly darker.

This is why it helps to have many people posting ideas and suggestions some times; especially when we kick ourselves for not thinking of something we should have.

(Edited the above for clarity).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.