Another Kernel Panic with Linux 7.0.0-28-generic

I would not think so, no.
Using better compression to consolidate should not affect performance.
This is because the same modules being included would be the deciding factor.

So, a regression depends on a change within the driver that is included or that driver being not included. Not to the name on the label.

2 Likes

Thanks Ponce-De-Leon,
Currently I am using 6.17.0-35 as of now, all good, and I completely removed the faulty (for me) kernels 6.17.0-40 and 7.0.0-28 following the instructions linked by Forpli here.

I am hesitating to try and reinstall the new kernel since the problems might have been fixed.. or just wait and see. I think I'll give the new kernel a go since now I know how to roll back if need be!

I'll keep you all updated..

Update after running the first instruction (sudo apt update):
some things went OK, but there seemed to be some problems with connecting to ubuntu mirrors? I imagine that's not too much of a problem

The second instruction went fine I think. Then I restarted. I'm back in the only kernel I still have installed for now (6.17.0-35) and it mostly looks OK except that I can't get my 2nd screen to display anything, even though it shows up in the Displays settings menu. But when I switch it on there, it doesn't actually do anything at all.

Also, I used to be on Nvidia driver 535, but currently in my software updater I am on "Continue using a manually-installed driver" and I cannot go back to 535 (impossible to select).

Shall I:

  1. try to install new kernel 7.0.0? If so: how do I revert the instructions that I used from this post?
  2. try to fix my NVIDIA driver problem, and if so, how? I think it should be OK if I can manage to select nvidia driver 535 but how to do that?

Can you first clear out leftover or residual Nvidia:
sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*' '^libnvidia-.*'

Then run:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install nvidia-driver-535 nvidia-dkms-535

2 Likes

If you want to install the kernel 7.0 later, unhold the hold packages

sudo apt-mark unhold linux-image-7.0.0-28-generic linux-modules-7.0.0-28-generic linux-headers-7.0.0-28-generic

and then update your system

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

After the update boot, and at Advanced options for Zorin select kernel 7.0.
If everything is fine with the new kernel, you can set
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
in the /etc/grub/file
and run

sudo update-grub

Otherwise boot next time again into Advanced options for Zorin and select an older kernel.

1 Like

for info, I saw this and I noticed that my "Zorin software server" was set to UK, so i set it back to 'main server' and will now try the instructions again...

... wow, that worked much better (compared to the screenshot I posted after sudo apt upgrade two posts ago):

Will attempt a restart...

Post-restart update: the login screen wasn't showing, so I had to do the 'tty' console (Ctrl-Alt2) to login but then I wasn't sure how to go back to the graphical interface, so I did reboot and logged back in the normal way from there after disconnecting my other display. It looks like having both displays plugged at the same time is now a problem. So I really need to be able to use the NVIDIA driver that I had before, but still not sure how to do that.

@Forpli Thanks! For now, I think I should fix the graphics card driver problems, and then I'll try to do what you say.

Okay, thanks Aravisian, that fixed it my graphics problems! Just after executing the instructions I got an error message "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured an the system can't recover. Please log out and try again."

and then it logged me out and I logged in again and now everything (screens) is working as usual! Thanks!

I'll now try Forpli's instructions to install the 7.0 Kernel.. Will keep you updated.

2 Likes

Thanks Forpli for these instructions, I did that and it didn't give me the option of the new kernel during Grub menu. I still only have 6.17.0-35. Are we missing something?

I followed the instructions here to 'nuke' it so maybe I need to 'unpurge' it somehow?

Thanks!

I thought, the update would install the new kernel, but it didn't. Run

sudo apt install linux-image-7.0.0-28-generic linux-modules-7.0.0-28-generic linux-headers-7.0.0-28-generic
sudo update-grub

and then reboot and try again to set kernel 7.0 at Advanced options for Zorin.

2 Likes

Hi Forpli, this worked!

I am now writing this from the new kernel and with no detectable problem!!

So, I guess the update from the Zorin Devs fixed it (for me at least) and I "just" had to reinstall my NVIDIA driver (not sure why it was gone) and reinstall the new kernel and that fixed it.

Thanks @Forpli @Aravisian @Ponce-De-Leon @AZorin @Nourpon and everybody else who helped!

5 Likes

I had the same issue: Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
For me, the root cause was that the initramfs got deleted during an update. Here's how to solve that:

  • when starting the system, boot into GRUB menu by repeatedly pressing ESC. Select Advanced Options
  • select a kernel which isn't the latest. For me 6.17.0-40-generic and 7.0.0-28-generic were installed, so I picked 6.17.0-40-generic (recovery mode). That one booted fine.
  • from the Recovery menu select 'root' and press Enter for maintenance
  • to check which kernels are installed, use 'linux-version list'. Take note of the highest version number listed.
  • to update (or recreate in my case) the initramfs you need to issue 'update-initramfs -u -k 7.0.0-28-generic' (replace the version according to your installed kernel)
  • update grub by issuing 'update-grub'
  • reboot and done.
5 Likes

Hi and welcome. Thanks for sharing your solution.

3 Likes