Anti-virus?

I notice you have increased your font size to really emphasize the demon within. Well, if you want to talk about demons, lets talk about Cononical and Gnome 41. Which oddly makes me start thinking about Section 31. Remember this creep?

Not all as it seems, look under the covers, and what you find, are monsters that lurk.

2 Likes

I just copied this from a side a word and it gived big size words.

2 Likes

You scared me to death :scream_cat:

When the truce is revealed - it is often not that too frightening :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WJrt3158Wk

3 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Schmilblick or "show and tell" time

ha ha- I would probably pay money to know what that entails ! :grin:

I do home based tech support for a living and out of the thousands of Windows users I support and can tell you categorically that is most definitely not the case.

So what I am talking about here is not just a one off anecdote, but based on over 10 years experience of one on one face to face tech support.

Even if you do everything right yourself, there is a strong chance other windows users you interact with are not, and they are giving you infected usb sticks, sending you infected emails etc.

And then there is the most common attack vector on Windows (and Mac), website ads. A good adblocker will help with this but it is not a silver bullet.

And one other thing that is very important to remember about viruses, if they are well written they will not slow down your computer and you wont even know they are there.

My customers that have the most badly infected computers all have one thing in common.

They are either using Windows Defender, Norton, or McAfee antivirus on their computers and it is literally letting almost anything infect their computers.

It is important to understand that Windows Defender is supplied by Microsoft as a courtesy to tide you over until you install something decent, it is not meant to be a permanent AV solution.

The last thing Microsoft want to do is cut their AV Developers lunch, this means less work they have to do on that part of their operating system, and it also attracts more windows users because of a wider choice of software on that platform.

As Ballmer would put it Developers, Developers, Developers

windows dancing GIF

Totally agree with this, I would really like to bring my customers over to Linux, this is one of the reasons why I am testing Zorin OS.

But that being said I can understand the other side of the argument, with a GUI you have no idea what is going on under the hood when you click a button, with CLI you do.

It is now becoming more obvious to the average user, especially average mac user, that tech users can no longer afford to be babies and give up control of their tech to Big Daddy (or should I say brother) software and OS developers.

People really need to learn to be more aware of what is going on with their computers and other devices.

But once again coming back to tomscharbach's original point.

The lack of well made GUI software on Linux is a huge barrier to entry for new and novice computer users.

3 Likes

Knowing his occupation, I suspect they would include a welding torch and a sledge hammer :fire: :hammer_and_pick:

2 Likes

Interesting to see that you also came to the same conclusion as mine.

When I was on Windows, I loved Malwarebytes. Thats one of those APPS that I felt really bad about, that I couldn't migrate over to Linux. And since Malwarebytes was always free for me, I couldn't and still don't understand, why they won't put out a version for Linux.

2 Likes

This is very interesting to me, because of how you both were drawn toward the same point, yet bounced off of each other along the way.

On the one hand, it is necessary to admit that the User must be willing to engage themselves with active thought, learning and asserting control over their machines.

On the other, people are lured to "easy" and "I don't wanna have to even think about how my computer works, I just want it to do things I want it to do, somehow."

I agree fully that users need at least a basic and competent understanding of what is under the hood.
But as this thread demonstrates: Even with active warnings, even with it spelled out - People Do Not Care.
They don't.
They want what they want and if that means everyone else gets thrown under the bus for them to have it - even as Gnome forces its wants on everyone (contrary to FOSS) - Then that is fine with the users. They will ignore all warnings and just keep on stumbling forward.

Maybe those of us that firmly believe that we are responsible for the machines that we own are the foolish ones.

I think it is time we stop buying computers.
We should lease computers and hand all control over to Gnome and to Microsoft. That is what they want and evidently, it is what we Want, Too.

1 Like

The difference between Free and Paid version is auto-update, I think. I bought a licence long time ago before they became a big name. When Malwarebytes adopted a yearly subscription system, they gave a lifetime licence (for single machine) to all pre-existing customers. A nice gesture to show their appreciation for the early supporters :slight_smile:

Ah, thanks for this correction!
I did not know that since I have not used a Free version for quite a while.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Villains of the computing world

Coming from the beginning of the floppy virus spreading era and Norton (early 90's). I have seen my fair share of enterprise installations of all the categorical AV products. McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, Sunbelt Viper, Webroot, Eset, MS Windows Defender. McAfee is for one not holding up to anything as well as Norton or Viper, Recently Webroot used to work great against Crypto variants but still was left holding the bag. Most of my enterprise clients use Eset. I have had it in the home as well as the workplace and seen 10's of thousands of installations. Malware infections maybe once in a while. But it kill virii in it tracks. You be the judge this Youtube channel beats the ever living p*ss out of all the AV software out there. ESET Internet Security 2020 Review | Test vs Malware - YouTube Don't forget Norton also bought Avast a few weeks ago.. Welcome to Norton and them buying software to BLOAT it up with more BS. Any way you can get a 30 day free trial of Eset and test for yourself. That's my 2 cents.
Sparkey70

3 Likes

I using only eset from 2003

As much as I would like to use ESET, that is not an option anymore. ESET has discontinued APP and support for Linux. And so has most all of the commercial Anti-virus entities. This all happened of course just before Windows11 release, which is why I smell a rotten conspiracy.

We all know Windows soaks up all the delicious marketshare. Most corporations go where the money is, and so does most humans. I tell ya, if there was a lot of money to be made in Linux, companies would be writing lots of software for Linux.

It is just a war if someone don't see that. Cannot support free without a value a money. Corporation can buying with corruption what is a normal issue to slowdown Linux. The problem what they created and want create buying only processors and another things what will be cooperate with Micro$oft don't share any code and not support all old machines - what linux is a Lifebuoy and because linux is more safety and don't take control your life like a M$.