Schmilblick or "show and tell" time

Talking about cooking I really have to ask @Bourne if he can tell what it is:

1 Like

Polish food. If this isn't a pickled cucumber or squash?

2 Likes

This is special taste in Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRAluSEqufs

1 Like

Bingo!

I planted cucumber this summer just to make this :slight_smile:
(Because all store bought cucumbers are waxed here).
I managed to get an authentic Russian pickles precipice (which is pretty close to the Polish version) from my colleague's mom.

I studied applied microbiology at Japanese University. That knowledge helps to make fermented foods :slight_smile:

My plan is to recreate that memorable Golonka (+ pickles) we tasted in Warsaw when we were there a couple of years ago when my husband had a concert there.

Unfortunately, I could not find that divine real Pils in France so far :frowning:

1 Like

Bigos also is pickled and good. That is nice always when our topic we spoken start about topic then go down and we talking a diffrent topic like her a kitchen.

1 Like

...Master Distractor...

Oops.
We got caught :sweat_smile:

I will split the thread.

OK everyone,
I split the thread with my moderator's magic wand :star2:

Now we can talk about Polish foods or any unconventional photos you might want to show.

This is my cucumber garden - just to prove that I am not fibbing :wink:

In UK they are called Wallys. Pickled gerkins.
Often found in Fish & Chip shops alongside pickled onions and pickled eggs.

EDIT: See here: How to pickle gherkins - Two Thirsty Gardeners
and Pickled eggs recipe | BBC Good Food

1 Like

??
Do you have a recipe for that?
I think I've never seen it.

This one is just like the pickles in France.
Polish/Russian pickles are different kettle of fish.

Those types of pickles uses absolutely no vinegar but rely on the lactic fermentation by halophilic (means salt loving) bacteria naturally reside on the cucumber skin.

It looks very interesting.
I think I will try that with an organic apple cider vinegar which I regularly use in the kitchen.

Someone mentioned a Dogs Dilly to me. I looked up what it was and instantly regretted it.

I suspect you are not a great fan of English foods :wink:

I think I am not a fan of soft foods that are mushy, soupy, etc.

Maybe the carnivore in me needs to feel empowered.

2 Likes

Quote: "Dilly Dog is probably one of the favorite ballpark foods for any Texas Ranger fan. It is known to be an original ballpark snack at the Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas."
EDIT: The Dilly Dog: a baseball-stand born dill pickle-stuffed corn dog everyone wants to try

Not English food. No wonder I have never heard of it. I have no intention of sampling it unless there is a day when there is only cucumbers and frankfurters left in the Supermarket.

1 Like

Recently, English food started to improve their reputation. I suspect it is because of the influence by various ethnic culinary styles. Last time we were in London, we were quite impressed by the quality and reasonable price (which is not difficult to accomplish when you compare the price with Paris).

Of course, there still are some French who claim that "French eat their meal with sauce while Brits eat their meal with manner" :crazy_face:

What about that famed Toast sandwich?
I think it is very English, like as American as Apple pie.

A bit scary that... But I have never actually been to the Rangers stadium or the monstrosity that is Globe Life Stadium.

I don't know where you got that quote, though. The Globe Life Stadium was only built around ten years or more ago.
Either way, I had very first heard of Dogs Dilly from an episode of British show "Grace and Favour" in which the magistrate called the London lawyers work "A right dogs dilly you made of it, too. Let's get out there..." That was filmed in the 1990's and was using an old reference by an old (stuck up posh) character.

1 Like

Cheese-on-toast has been around for decades. Then Pubs started serving the Cheese Toastie and toasted sandwich machines were suddenly popular for the home made item. You could really burn the inside of your mouth with the hot cheese content though, just like with McD's hot Apple Pies.

Not sure if the Cheese Toastie is a British invention.

When Brits first ventured on package holidays to "the Continent" they were shocked by the Mediteranean menu on offer. Hence: http://brianthacker.tv/im-not-eating-any-of-that-foreign-muck/

How things have changed. Now people come to Britain and eat what was once called "foreign food".

2 Likes

Irish rarebit.
I know that.
But what I am questioning is this:

Cooking Instructions:

1. Spread butter on a slice of bread
  2. Add salt to taste and toast the bread
  3. Place the toast between two other slices of bread