Any USB writer other than Balena Etcher?

Agreed; Silent but attentive.

It's amazing how these two comments could spawn a lengthy thread of their own.
In very small amounts and carefully applied, dielectric grease could be a real boon in computers. With automotive, we can just slather it around and I think that is what you are thinking of. But trace amounts smeared with a pin or toothpick on contact points in a computer would do a world of good.
Anywhere else in the case... And it will trap dust in nightmarish proportions.
If it were slathered, it could cross-connect, destroying sensitive components.

Conscientiously applied, it would be an excellent use of the product and one little packet of it would last thirty years.
But I would also recommend others avoid using it - as lack of care in amount and placement or a mistake in use could be a very costly one.

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing. After searching last night a little, this isn't the only forum complaining about Etcher frying drives that I've found. If I was in their shoes I would find another company to partner up with. Might get a few more happy customers that way. lol

As for electrical contact cleaner, I always used the CRC stuff. I have been playing bass forever and have a SWR 350 bass amp with 8 pots in front that occasionally need to be cleaned out. Got it back in the late 90's and it's still going strong.

Wow, only two people? Damn their good. I did not mean to criticize, I was just asking, the question. I have a bad habit of asking the questions that no one else will, because I want to know.

3 Likes

Keep that up.

1 Like

I said this in another comment, but I meant no critizim when I asked why they stil promoted the usb writer. I was just asking a question. Yes I do know what it's like to be the team of 7 people, that every day did more than other teams of 10-12 people. You'll learn I ask and say things that should not be said, sometimes, I run it through my brain, and it sounds right, it sounds like it's the correct way of saying it, but it's not. But I have those times that because I have no filter between my brain and mouth, I find out what I'm going to say when everyone else hears it. It just bypasses my brain and goes out my mouth. There never is any negativity to what I say, and I'm usually being helpful or whatever, So either ignore me, or tell me to sit down and shut up. I will take the hint and realize what i did.

I had this little boat paddle looking this that was the perfect size for the larger contact points, then a toothpick for the smaller ones. Applied very conservatively. My customers never had a problem with no connection, or rusted contacts, That grease would usually outlast the rest of the pc.

Yes, I checked all that, and followed that procedure. It's not my first rodeo LOL :innocent: . Relatively new usb drives, tried two, both less than 3 years old, used no more than 5 or 6 times.

Well, you'd be surprised Contridiction, if you pay attention around here, you will notice just how many folks we deal with, who don't even know what a SHA256 checksum is, let alone the fact weather or not that they have checked it.

While a small percentage, still, a small percentage of downloads get corrupted, especially when people use download managers. So, we are forced to go through the lines one by one in troubleshooting support, especially when the users neglect to provide us this information from the start.

And yes, just so you know, only maybe 1% of the people on here say that they have checked the SHA256 checksum HASH. 99% of folks never even say anything about it. So, it is what it is, and sometimes we have to go through pages worth of posts, until we finally get to a resolution with some folks.

2 Likes

I like and use Ventoy a lot, one of the new features in the latest release is the Checksum File Compare

of course totally useless for those that don't check them anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On this forum:
"Have you verified the SHA256 checksum?"
is more frequently mentioned than:
"Have you tried switching it off and on again?"

3 Likes

So earlier today, I downloaded Lite and used Balena Etcher. I personally, not saying anyone else will, had an error at the end, Compressed image error. Tried again, same. So I went to the software center and installed Multiwriter. Worked like a charm, and Lite is now on my laptop. Just sharing an experience... :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am using Ventoy , it is showed as the best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope your USB key is still OK.
While Etcher is recommended in the installation tutorial at Zorin site, the consensus here is against using Etcher.
I use Mintstick.
https://pkgs.org/download/mintstick
Comes with eraser/writer. Very handy.

3 Likes

Why? Oh Why?

There are better alternatives.

1 Like

Now we know the truth™ about what happened to your water heater.

1 Like

Balena Etcher has always worked for me prior. If not broken, don't fix. Then it broke.

I've used Mintstick while on mint prior. As well as USB Format. Always wondered why Zorin doesn't have their versions. I'm guessing lack of available time. Would be a nice perk to have pre-installed.

from other thread:

1 Like

In windows i used this one alot for linux distros. Never failed me.

Back in 2014, mint and ubuntu recommended this tool.

I wonder why some distro's stick with Etcher

RosaImageWriter for Windows.But,first,you must unformat your usb flashdisk

I agree with Aravisian, please give rufus a try it is a free utility.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.