Anyone want to help me get IDM(InternetDownloadManager) Zorin/Linux?

I was using IDM with windows & it worked awesome.(internetdownloadmanager.com) IDM has a unique reputation & is well known for offering browser integrated download tools/buttons that I have not found with any other program. IDM is uniquely helpful & powerful. It also can uniquely download from social media/facebook/instagram,etc. & separately hosted video from countless sites, some video hosting sites it can download from that Jdownloader even has problems with, & vice versa. IDM even can download audio. Does anyone know of any other program that does the same? See screenshot:

I tried to install IDM in WINE, but the only problem is that it cant "talk to"/sync with my IDM chrome browser extension for some reason, which is the last step. And i dont know why or how. Perhaps someone can help me. It is important to clarify, that I'm trying to sync my non WINE chrome browser with the IDM, not a WINE based/installed chrome browser.
I just tried to install the chrome browser & firefox for WINE & couldnt even install them properly. sigh... what a headache. I think if I get those two WINE based browsers to install, the IDM browser extension can sync with the IDM WINE installed program.

I also tried to use XDM (xtremedownloadmanager.com).
And it installs fine, it can impressively download from instagram without login/cookies via extension, but it cant download from facebook for some reason. Here is another link for XDM:
GitHub - subhra74/xdm: Powerfull download accelerator and video downloader.

Jdownloader also can download from instagram, facebook, etc, but with private content it requires that you tell it all your social media login info, which IDM & XDM completely bypasses. There are a lot of disadvantages with Jdownloader. Pros & cons. So XDM & IDM are superior to Jdownloader when it comes to instagram/facebook & browser integration & speed/convenience.
-Thanks!

1 Like

u can use uGet as an alternative
u can install it using sudo apt install uget
it is a free and open-source download manager that supports multiple protocols such as HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, BitTorrent, and Metalink. it provides features such as queue management, resume downloads, and bandwidth scheduling.

1 Like

Thanks for telling me! :slight_smile: I just tried it out. It doesnt catch instagram or facebook, or any videos actually, at least not via a web browser. So I see no difference than Jdownloader which i already have. Also uGet wants cookies, in other words, login info, for instagram when i tell it to download from instagram, which IDM & XDM dont need, & therefore is unnecessary.
So it appears, I've solved part of my problem, as XDM is really awesome. But only issue is downloading stories,reels & videos from facebook, which XDM cant do.

In your experience, is uGet better than Jdownloader?

1 Like

i've actually never used Jdownloader or even uGet. but AFAIK Jdownloader has more advanced options like automatic captcha recognition but if u prefer simple UI, uGet is a better choice

1 Like

You could give FlashPeak Slimjet Browser a try which has a few tools built in.

1 Like

IDM relies upon the Windows Base Filtering Engine service for Advanced Browser Integration to work.

2 Likes

@swarfendor437 , cool! :slight_smile: Thanks for telling me, never even heard of that browser, I take study notes on all browsers i learn about, so definitely will add that to my list! it has some cool tools in it! unfortunately after trying it out, it doesnt work with facebook & instagram, & its a headache in regards to those sites, it wont play videos on those sites, its got codec & driver issues, see forum link for example (LINK)

So it doesnt appear that will work. One cool thing about slimjet that I've never seen before is that it can natively download from youtube, & also its got really cool settings/config options, reminds me of seamonkey! seamonkey is not very good now though as its basically abandoned. & lots of sites dont work with it.

@Mr_Magoo , interesting, thanks! very helpful. it appears to be fixable, but its just too time consuming for me right now.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=WINE%20windows%20Base%20Filtering%20Engine

I sure hope you can find a solution as I have a lifetime membership to IDM and have no way to run it on Linux .... it is absolutely the best down loader available hands down ..... social media is not a problem for me as I don't use any ....

I have an excellent YouTube down loader called 4K Video Downloader and works awesome .... downloads really fast but doesn't down load everything .... Vivaldi .... my browser down loads most other stuff for me ..... but again doesn't down load it all ....

IDM did it all .... as I dual boot with Win 10 Pro IDM is still over there but is a pain to switch back and forth between OS's .....

Please let us know if you find a solution !!!!!!! .....

1 Like

Did a search and found this:

2 Likes

Mr Frog, thanks for commenting. :slight_smile: try to find a way to install IDM on WINE & also use the IDM browser extension on a WINE internet browser.

1 Like

@swarfendor437 , that youtube video is 7 years old, what they do in the youtube video is they install IDM via WINE, which I've already done, then they use a browser extension called "Flashgot". However i dont think flash is used anymore with youtube or the internet much anymore?
But as I've already mentioned in my OP, I am close to completing my IDM setup that way, but my IDM program cant communicate with my non WINE internet browser, or my WINE internet browser. Also WINE keeps running my IDM program with administrative privileges, without asking me, & WINE IDM warns me that it cant communicate with browsers when it runs in administrative mode. I cant figure out how to tell WINE/PlayonLinux to stop running certain programs in administrative mode.

1 Like

Try making yourself part of the wine group:

See if Bulk Media Downloader will work. (Extension for Firefox.)

2 Likes

@swarfendor437 , Thanks, I will definitely ask WINE forum when i get a chance.

Also the Bulk Media downloader doesnt work with youtube, nor does it work with facebook or instagram unfortunately, its not good at all.

Thanks for mentioning it though, as i'd never heard of it b4, was worth testing it out.

1 Like

I have lifetime IDM license and I used it about 10 years on Windows, after switching to Linux distros, I was looking to learn how to work IDM on Zorin and Pop! OS, fortunately that year FDM released their Linux based version, Since then I am using FDM and it's very powerful, I am not using IDM even on Windows anymore.
Try FDM

2 Likes

What is FDM ????? .... Free Download Manager ????? .... :thinking:

1 Like

@Abdulhalim ,thanks for the recommendation for FDM. I have only tried it on Android & Chromebook, but not Windows or Zorin. But just now I tried it out. Unfortunately its not any better than XDM, or Jdownloader. FDM has a browser extension but it doesnt actually work at all with Chrome or Firefox, when installed. So it cant do an integrated browser download from instagram, youtube or facebook. Especially if they require a login.
There is still nothing I have found that is like IDM. :frowning:
(Tagging @Frog )

@Frog Yes, Free Download Manager
@Jessie Actually FDM had a perfect YouTube downloader but they took it down bc of YouTube law

1 Like

You can add Vivaldi to your list ..... first I thought it might be that Vivaldi doesn't like Chrome Extensions but as I downloaded and installed several others that can't be the problem ..... so I deleted the extensions and FDM .....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.