App windows not remembering position after monitor sleep mode

Hey there guys,

as the title suggests, I have a bit of a problem with my 3rd monitor. Whenever all monitors go into sleep mode, the same app windows always appear on the 3rd monitor when I wake them up and not as I would expect them on the primary monitor (Or let's say where they were displayed before the monitors went into sleep mode).

As I have 3 monitors and have a strict habit where which program/window should be displayed, it is pretty annoying to always place the windows to their previous monitor.

What I did already was:

• deleting monitors.xml in ~/.config
  • unplugging the 3rd monitor from the graphics card
  • deactivating the 3rd monitor in settings and re-enabling it

to no avail. It's again rather a cosmetic issue, but as I have the timer for deep sleep set to a very small amount, I find myself re-arranging the windows 10-15 times a day which is of course not optimal.

If you have any idea I'd be very happy to hear it. I use an AMD RX 6800XT btw if that helps anything.

Best wishes

This would drive me nuts. It's not cosmetic, it's a complete interruption to work flow.

This is part of why, for me, wmctrl and xdotool are among the very first utilities I install on Zorin Lite.

It's also why I prefer Zorin OS Lite (XFCE) so I can save session on logout- a feature Gnome lacks.

What you can try on (Zorin Core) Gnome:
Delete the monitors.xml file, again.
Position your windows as you want them.
Ensure that libxml2-utils is installed:

sudo apt-get install libxml2-utils

Then paste into terminal:

sudo wget -O /usr/local/sbin/update-monitor-position http://www.calgorithms.com/assets/files/update-monitor-position

Make executable

chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/update-monitor-position

From the Zorin app menu, go to your settings Start Up Applications. Add update-monitor-position to your start up items.

Reboot and test. This really should work...

1 Like

Hey there again,

thank you for your provided solution and taking your time again. However, this did, unfortunately, not solve it :frowning: Any other ideas? :smiley:

The only thing that happened was that my entire monitor setup was re-ordered on boot :cry:

My jaw dropped. I have used that several times...

uhh... I can only suggest you retrace your steps and check everything again.

If not... At least there's Zorin Lite...

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.