Appearance changes/Applications do not launch after some time

Hi,

I have a strange hard to reproduce issue with Zorin OS 16.1. After some time (typically a couple of days including suspend/resumes) applications like Chrome or Terminal will not launch any more, I just get the spinning wheel of death in Mac parlance. Accidentally I stumbled on a workaround related to another issue that I have with Zorin OS 16.1: after some time the appearance will change from the Windows 10 appearance that I am using to the default Gnome 3.0 appearance. When the applications no longer launch I switch to the default Gnome 3.0 appearance and then they launch again. If I switch back to the Windows 10 appearance they still refuse to launch however. Logging out/logging back in also resolves the issue, but is not very practical.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Regards,
GW

Are you referring to using the Pre-set "Layouts" in the Zorin Appearance > Layouts tab?

HI,

Yes, I am using Appearance -> Layouts.

Regards,
GW

I am using Zorin OS Lite and I learned quickly on Zorin Lite (XFCE) that changing layouts will simply ghost any custom panel and desktop configurations - since which I have avoided the preset layouts like plague.
For this reason, I have, quite literally, miniscule experience with the Preset Layouts.:grin:
Perhaps another user may shine some light on this... But in the meantime, I am going to note this thread for the ZorinGroup to review since:

• Layouts are a Zorin OS feature that affect all users
  • They are the most familiar with the custom Zorin OS included application

FYI,

This issue has not occurred to me any more in the last few weeks, so perhaps some update (indirectly) fixed it.

Regards,
GW

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.