Apple notebooks susceptible to dust?

Was introduced to this information recently:

Quick synopsis:
The narrator explains that unique design in MacBooks can result in dust being trapped in moving parts and cables that causes damage. He points out that this is not present in other manufacturers and points out a lack of accountability on Apples part.

5 Likes

Sounds oddly familiar with their phone updates to slow them down and 'force' people to get new devices :thinking: I was kind if disappointed to see that one.. I mean I've never owned an iPhone personally - not hating, just prefer Android.

That dude is really good though! First video I watched of his, he saved a kid like 500 bucks on a screen repair with a 5 dollar cable - Apple quoted a new screen for ~500 bucks :expressionless: I think also some solder came off a few pads as well.. I fixed an Air display once, 50 bucks lol but that's interesting! I know for sure my old Toshiba likes to suck in the dust; great airflow, but really grabs the dust in the air over time. Has never stopped working because of it.. I just can't believe how fragile those are - boasting all-metal body design and such.. kinda ironic :smirk: Oh well, still wanna get an older one for Zorin only!

Awesome find though :+1:

1 Like

Apple products are overpriced garbage. They are not made as durable as they cost, and they are made with defects that allow dust to destroy them.

Apple is like the Bose of headphones, pray on the rich, sell them for a lot to make people think their good, then pull the rug from under them, when you hear how terrible they sound.

2 Likes

I got an MSI gaming notebook, that would literally run circles around MACs all day long. No gamer looks at Apple seriously, because they turned themselves against gamers, 20-years ago. Plus MACs are thermal nightmares, as they don't have adequate cooling.

Another thing is Apples garbage headphones. Anybody who knows, will tell you they are far from audiophile grade sound. They probably only cost Apple 10 dollars to make, tet costs the consumer like 300 dollars for garbage tuning.

My old headphones recently snapped at the hinge. I was tired of buying cheap garbage, so I decided to finally send it, and bought the last pair I will ever buy. I went full luxury, top of the line.

I ordered the Denon AH-D9200 flagship, made in 100% Japanese. You won't find this quality in Apple products!

2 Likes

I don't think making rich people waste their money is such a bad thing. :upside_down_face:

The trouble is that rich are not necessarily who is affected.
It is well known that a person can spend a lot more money over time buying shoddy products that break down and need frequent replacement or repairs than if they had been able to buy the expensive quality product first.
It is yet another way that the poor pay more.

Buy a $30 microwave and it might last you a year. Buy a $175 microwave and it will last you 15 or 20 years.

There has been a trend in the USA where people have been counter-acting this mentality by buying a cheap product to last them out during the time they save up money and buy the One Expensive Item they need to last. In other words, "We're not taking it anymore."
@StarTreker's post above illustrates this exact example. It is true much of the time.

Now we run into a complexity. Many people scrimped and saved and sacrificed in order to ensure that they could get a Good Quality Product in order to have it last them a long time - a long term investment that will ultimately save them money. And they trusted that to Apple.

:expressionless:

2 Likes

We can use a desktop for a long time, but I think it's hard to do that with any notebook.

Macbooks are prone to breakdowns because they're impossibly thin and light. But that is an aspect demanded by consumers who need to carry their PCs around.

1 Like

I only hope that rich people spend their money to make the planet a better place. I know it aren't going to happen, but I'm allowed to dream, yes? :wink:

4 Likes

I like that they're going back to their own silicon, so to speak. I wasn't a big fan of when they went Intel based. Only had a 2009 MacBook I got off ebay last year haha beefed it up and put Mint MATE on it. Runs pretty well for being that old - letting my brother and his GF borrow it for the time being. But - that was a good setup I thought, how the hardware was laid out / accessible. No idea on new stuff but, that sounds pretty fragile lol too much so for me to buy new. Older / used is my best bet for a while - but, not really in the picture anyway.

I will definitely take your word on their audio stuff - wasn't impressed with their in-ear iPod headphones in 2006-ish? Glorified in-ear generic ear phones that were $50 bucks .......... that was very disappointing. I've only got an old iPod Video now, running Linux of course :smirk: But I definitely think they've gotten a little dodgy with their stuff - from reviews and other sources.. There for a while I was thinking 'wow, another device that.. does the same thing all their other iSftuff does?' :joy: Not hating, not hating.. When the all-metal-ish unibody MacBooks came out, those looked pretty slick I thought - super thin compared to many others at the time. But, now that's the standard - thin is in lol

2 Likes

100% correct on all counts! This trend in America has got to stop, the planned obsolescents is completely out of control in this country. For the majority of my life, I have been buying cheap garbage to get by. I've had to learn a hard lesson, that I have only paid more in the long run, simply because I couldn't afford to buy the best, in the first place.

And more and more cheap garbage from China gets pushed on us from stores like Walmart, or even Amazon, because they know that the majority of America is poor, and can't afford anything better. They intentionally pray on that, because their like predators, stalking you, and slowly draining you of your blood, until you can't feed the system anymore. Then many of these no-name Chinese fly by night sellers, disappear, only after, they have drained people's wallets.

Its a vicious system, with a vicious cycle, that is never ended, and consumers feed into it. What @Aravisian said is correct though, rich people don't have to worry about it, because they have more money then sense, and can afford to buy anything and everything. The system is designed, to keep the rich inflated, off the backs of the poor, who really suffer. We also pay more taxes on everything, not just property taxes, but sales taxes as well.

I realize that mass production, was supposed to be the answer, to people being able to afford things, when hand made was considered to be off the table. But I tell you what I see, I see a mass production system that was originally spun up to solve a problem, but quickly went run away amuk, and like a run away train, there is no stopping it.

There was a time when people had pride in their work, pride in their products, and would never lets something such as the idea of planned obsolescence to enter their heads. Everything hand made with love, cost more yes, but a product that lasts! Look at GE and Westinghouse, if it were not for their investment into our power structure, would we be where we are today?

GE and Westinghouse didn't make turbine generators to break, they were designed to last at least 100-years, and they succeeded! These days, people take power for granted, and forgot all about them.

The only way to get products that last, is to buy hand made. Nothing that is mass produced lasts, at least not in my experience. One of the benefits to those headphones I ordered, is that they are completely had made in a Japanese factory, not mass produced garbage.

@Aravisian has his head on straight when it comes to matters like this, and he knows what we are up against in this country. I am completely aware, that some of the other world countries, look at America has being a rich country. But in all actuality, only the 1% of this country is rich, the rest of us are poor. And we also used to have a further distinctions between the classes.

There was a time when there was a rich class, known as first class. The middle class, known as 2nd class. And the poor class, known as 3rd class. These designations were heavily used in cruise ship travel back in Titanics time for example. But I am sure you'd be surprised to know, the middle class is just about extinguished.

Were about to enter a period where there is only the rich class, and the poor class. Seen the costs on homes lately? Yeah, nobody is buying these homes, nobody can afford them but the rich. Of course, some folks are so desperate, they will buy the house they need anyway, cause the only other option is homelessness, and they will pay 3-times the normal rate.

To put simply, this country was not built on fairness, there is no such thing as fair in this world. It actually has more in lined with a monarchy kingdom, under the false facade, of a democracy. Still, we do have more freedoms then other countries, I will give you that. But when it comes to who's rich, who's poor, its like the old saying, follow the money. And at the end of pot, you'll find the evil your looking for. lol

1 Like

I am not familiar with what is happening in the US at the moment, but expensive products cannot be always good quality. Price can always be measured, but quality is not. Market competition keeps prices down and quality up. However, this can only be achieved if consumers make smart decisions. Don't get too caught up in the numbers, because important is invisible.

This is very true. Higher price does not mean "Quality" any more than New equals Better. Or that Bigger equals better.
But it is occasionally true and the onus is on the consumer to do diligent research. And I do mean research, not glancing at reviews. Reviews are often padded on the web.

@StarTreker hit various points that reflect some hard truths.
That the middle class is fading in the USA and the Housing market has lost its mind.
Costs have generally been rising and wages have not.

2 Likes

The universal phrase comes to mind "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
That seems ever more true thesde days.

As for buying Apple products. Some buy them because they look nice. Some buy them as they are reassuringly expensive, so must be good quality ...er maybe not. Some buy them as the latest tech status symbols and only use them until the next model is advertised, so they never experience long term product quality/reliability issues.

For the non-super rich, I think most seek best value for money in terms of performance, quality and reliability. But quality can be confused with perceived quality (great on the outside but don't look under the hood) and reliability confused with reputation rather than failure rate statistics. Sometimes you just get lucky, particularly if you maintain your kit properly.

1 Like

My own experience with companies over time is that once a company establishes a brand name as High Quality, they often will begin slowly dialing back the expenses of providing quality while keeping the end user cost the same.

3 Likes

100% AGREED!

I have lived long enough to notice, that this is what they always do. I work in the mechanics field, and this is exactly what all of the small engine manufactures have been doing. And some, like Honda, decide to give up trying to meet government EPA regulations for emission, and stop making their mowers entirely. Now everything is moving over to battery electric.

Just how much time is going to go by, until these lithium batteries are made even worse then they are today, just how many fires will break out, and burn homes down as a result? Start out making quality, then slowly switch to making garbage down the line, and its the customer who pays in the end. Its a sad state of affairs that we live in today.

There are other circumstances, as well. Remember Milwaukee tools? It was bought by ShenZen. This is the same company that produces the Hart Brand name tools.

A new owner will often change the production line process and eliminate quality parts or techniques while profiting from the brand name and brand loyalty. This is true of DeWalt, as well.

Not always the case, though. Snap On Tools began having their hand tools manufactured overseas, then assembling the parts in the USA and marking the tools as "Made in the USA" due to it being assembled here.
The result of this was that the steel alloy used contained more sulfur and were more brittle. But the company was able to ride it out with their exchange policy and devout belief in their High Quality Products as a brand.
The US Government sued Snap On, along with Danaher and several other manufacturers involved in the same ploy. Snap On quickly reached a settlement, hoping to avoid (successfully) public press on the issue.
This is why around year 2000, a lot of Snap On Tools bear no C.O.O. markings at all. They stopped marking a country of origin during this lawsuit in order to swiftly reach compliance.

The court ruled that a "Made in USA" C.O.O. marking can only be used when all of the relevant parts are made in the USA.
You may see, now, markings that say, "Made in the USA using Global Components."

1 Like

Or just "Designed in the USA", but made wherever labour is cheapest.
Corporations perform product cost reduction exercises to "optimise" the product materials and manufacturing process. This should not impact brand quality, but often does.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.