Apple SuperDrive cd and disc writer

. I have a apple cd read how would one get one working on zorin. Since my Inspiron 7586 has no cd disc read so I found me a apple cd read supperdriver. Would like to know more about on Linux zorin

From searches I have done, I can only see questions relating to apple superdrive conected to apple computers.
However, high usb power draw by the superdrive seems a issue and you need a proper active usb adapter to operate that drive. See this:

I have no idea what you are going to do about drivers though.

Okay sweet a USB adapter easy. There a website that I found that my work not sure yet but here a link it kernel 2.0 https://cmos.blog/use-apples-usb-superdrive-with-linux/

@Steven123 What connector does superdrive have at the end of its flying lead?
(Can’t see from your photo)
All that reddit item was concerned with was usb hub adapter cannot be a passive (unpowered) hub, as that would not provide enough power.

That blog item you linked to looks promising, if the comments are true.

Let us know how you get on.

It’s is a USB 2.0 I think but it is apple product so could be usb 1.0 lolimage

sorry if’s is hard to read the did black text on black back. But that is the specs for apple super driver cd/writer

So looks from your PM that you have now got the apple superdrive connected and working on your Dell PC as a CD/DVD drive.
I see you got Zorin up as far as the “ZORIN” startup screen, then some text after 2 minutes.

1. Is there a reason you are using CD/DVD drive instead of USB thumb drive?
  2. Are you attempting to “Try Zorin” or an install?

It is difficult to read text from a video, especially when you rotate it 90degrees. It would be far better is best to post screenshot (or photo from your phone in landscape mode) so we can all view the messages you are getting and and see if we can help you.

EDIT: I have just realised you have another post here Zorin core 15.3 the “okay” with screenshots. I am confused as your PM seemed to refer to this “superdrive” thread. Are these related or separate issues?

Hi Everyone,

Did any of you try the steps in this blog cited by @steven123?

Do any of you see any problem with trying the steps outlined. Having my Superdrive is a luxury not a necessity for me. So if there are concerns about the steps or a newbie like myself messing up trying to execute the steps, I would appreciate the warning.

I decided to try this on a different distro on my oldest machine first. It worked. Yes. So I put it on my so-called new machine. Worked there too.

Except I didn't have luck setting up the udev rule. Couldn't get it to work on either machine. I ended up confused in the line commands for doing that.

The blog said the code is:

Debian

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local.rules

At this point the terminal looked unfamiliar to me

I tried entering in the following code which I didn't know was to be entered all in a single line or otherwise. Upon entering it, I hit return but nothing seems to happen.

The code I entered is:

Initialise Apple SuperDrive

ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1500", ATTRS{idVendor}=="05ac", DRIVERS=="usb", RUN+="/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/$kernel EA 00 00 00 00 00 01"

The terminal output you are seeing is the In-Terminal Text Editor.
You were creating a new File in that action.
If you enter into the terminal sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local.rules, then paste in ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1500", ATTRS{idVendor}=="05ac", DRIVERS=="usb", RUN+="/usr/bin/sg_raw /dev/$kernel EA 00 00 00 00 00 01", that line should appear in print in that text.
Press the ctrl+x keys together on the keyboard to Exit. It will as if you want to save, hit the y key. It will then show what you are saving it as- with the file name the same as you had entered into terminal. Since you are not changing that, you can just hit enter.
Once done, the terminal should revert to normal and the new file will have been created.

1 Like

Thank you, again, kind sir. I had actually guessed correctly . . . sort of. I was hitting ^X instead of CTRL+X. lol

1 Like