Are you like me and Trying to Learn Linux?

I am new to Linux and have benefited greatly from the help and patience of the Forum moderators. But I am trying to learn more and become more self-sufficient. Maybe even return the favor and help others someday.

Last night I stumbled upon this website that has a lot of articles that I am finding helpful as a newbie to Linux. Maybe you will find the site useful too. The url I am sharing is for a page on Learning Linux. The drop-down on that page will route you to many other areas.

https://embeddedinventor.com/category/linux/learning-linux/

5 Likes

Here's another fine resource you may want to check out for learning Linux basics: BEGINNER'S GUIDE FOR LINUX - Start Learning Linux in Minutes

I discovered Linux back in 2001 and have never looked back. It's been so much fun and very empowering, learning all the things a person can do with this operating system.

3 Likes

For me it was about around the beginning of 2019. But the sentiment is the same, I feel like I missed out on when there was more user control.

2 Likes

Yes, once you get comfortable using the command line, it's difficult sometimes having to deal with a cumbersome GUI to slow you down. :wink:

1 Like

When I left Windows, I had only ever used the cmd prompt for ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.
For the beginning, I spent much of my time complaining about a Lack of GUI ability for many functions.
I began to really realize the difference when I willingly gave the terminal a chance. As I entered in commands in quick succession, completing tasks in a couple of seconds, I realize how cumbersome the GUI can be. Almost any GUI I use, I spend a lot of time just looking for the right button to push.
Using a GUI takes me ten times longer. And since a GUI application is not enabled with all the possible commands of the terminal, then I often end up reverting to the terminal for the raw power, anyway.

I like GUI apps - I theme them, even. But I personally think being adept at both is far more productive than in trying to demand a GUI for all apps, just because it is what a person is used to. As Zorin OS is geared toward welcoming Windows refugees, I really believe that Zorin OS should aim to teach the terminal as much as possible rather than only meet the demand for GUI functionality in all things. (I do not think Zorin OS does just try to meet demand... But I wonder sometimes if it would if it could.)

2 Likes

@davidb_sk Thank you for sharing another resource. I look forward to attacking it.

1 Like

You're most welcome! I hope you find it useful.

1 Like

That's just what I need, the more I understand the less I understand!
r_1799945_d1D3F

1 Like

After being in the community since the around 2006 or 2007 I definitely do not want to go back. Lol.

Was not a huge fan of Gnome 2 or KDE back then. KDE was an absolute disaster in my opinion. Gnome 2 was tolerable.

You were in long before I was... When I moved over to Linux, Gnome 2 was a thing of legend which I had to look up and research to know anything about.

And in your short time you have learned far more than myself lol.

I’ve always been a “user” I never really dug in to get as complex of an understanding as you have. I know enough to solve most issues I come across (with the help of Google lol)

KDE of yesteryear was insanely bloated. While Gnome I feel was to basic.

I know you know this but just in case MATE is Gnome 2 with updates to function in modern distros.

Information and forums was not as good back then. I will never forget when I was a complete noob and not grasping that “Linux” was not a single entity. That you can’t download software from one distro and it work on another. This is something that still confuses people to this day but there is way better information now than it was back then. The community is also friendlier to new people.

Yes, a view backward in time shows a lot of ummm... interesting perspectives the further back you go. I suspect a certain amount of ego was involved. You see, if I am supposed to be perceived as a Grand Nerd with encompassing Linux Knowledge and you ask something I do not know how to do, I might reply with "Noob! You should know how to do that already!" instead of sanely and logically saying, "I am not sure how to do that."
I prefer todays method though... And if I do not know how, I say I do not know how.

Mate: Yes, I am one of the trawlers of WimpysWorld server. My repos for my themes all include Mate Themes.

The Linux community can still be pretty annoying to this day. They really do not like to hear that Windows and MacOS are not terrible.... lol (Though I wholeheartedly prefer Linux)

That Linux alternatives to Photoshop are not as good.... etc. I understand that Krita is good (I use it) but it falls short of Photoshop or even Affinity Photo. Saying this on some forums is going to get you blasted beyond belief.

I can not stand when anybody attacks new users instead of trying to help them. Demoralizing them does not help anybody

While me and you have had several philosophical disagreements you are probably the most open-minded moderator I have ever came across and this is the most open-minded community. I love it here.

5 Likes

As an old "Noob," the times I have been dismissed in the past are many. Yes, it is a steep learning curve, and I'm about a quarter way around the curve, I have been treated badly in the past, do I care? Of course I do; we all do. However, on this site, that has not occurred, so a big thank you for your tolerance!

4 Likes

Such a very honest statement.
So many people act like they don't care or that things don't bother them...

3 Likes