Audio issues

Hi! As mentioned above I'm not facing audio cuts for the moment.
Unfortunately I'm not able to switch to HDMI cause of the actual setup (I do have a laptop which is using the HDMI port and it doesn't have the display port plug, so I cannot switch)

Can you please try disconnecting your Webcam (USB) or Microphone (USB) and reboot.
Then test audio.
I'd like to see if the capture device is snagging audio. Some users have had that trouble and needed to set their capture profile to "off' to resolve.

Sound issues are always a headache... I can imagine that this one wants to make you put your head through a wall.

If he does that he will get interference noise from the neighbo(u)rs! :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry, I didn't get your point! Should I remove mic/webcam and see if the interference noise happens again?
If this is the case, why isn't this happening when I use the headset, but only when I'm using the speakers?

This is driving me crazy...

You said that your audio cuts out and stops working.
I suggested disconnecting USB devices to see it they capturing audio causing the sound to stop working to speakers.

In terms of 'scratchiness', I have had a similar issue on Antix. The solution? Firstly, I don't use Pulse Audio, just ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) and use the application QAS Mixer:

The solution? I turned down Pre-Amp as much as possible - problem solved.

However in terms of sound cutting out it can be because there is more than one device available.

See my advice on creating a blacklist.conf to disable audio sources not needed:

Hi all,
sorry for late reply, been busy with work.
Anyway I'm just facing another audio cut, as an answer to @Aravisian :

audio

Then with alsamixer:

┌────────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.2.2 ──────────────────────────────┐
│     Scheda: HDA NVidia                          F1:  Aiuto                   │
│ Processore: Nvidia GPU 99 HDMI/DP               F2:  Informazioni di sistema │
│      Vista: Riproduzione                        F6:  Selezione scheda sonora │
│   Elemento: S/PDIF                              Esc: Esce                    │

And pavucontrol:

immagine

It seems like everything is normal...

EDIT: I figured out there is no need to reboot, terminating the session also works... yet it is a bit annoying

Since you are routing sound through Nvidia:

Which Nvidia drivers are you using? You can check in Software & Updates > Additional Drivers tab.

I was not able to find "Software & Updates" so I've checked with nvidia-smi, hoping it's ok:

bl4ckk@bl4ckk:~$ nvidia-smi
Mon Sep 18 21:25:04 2023       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.86.05              Driver Version: 535.86.05    CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 ...    Off | 00000000:29:00.0  On |                  N/A |
| 30%   48C    P0              47W / 125W |    377MiB /  6144MiB |     12%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      8736      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                          175MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      8874      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                         44MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      9388      G   /usr/lib/firefox/firefox                    153MiB |

As a response to @swarfendor437 :
both of the mentioned problems (audio cut / scratchiness) are only happening when I'm using the monitor audio (via display port with the GPU) which is then connected to the speakers. I have never faced these issues while using the headphones. Do you think that it is related to having multiple devices, even if only one of them is having issues?

Zorin menu > System Tools > Software Updater

Let it start and go through its usual flagellations as it checks for updates, then when it settles down, click the Settings button. Then go to the Additional Drivers tab.

You can find software & updates by typing software directly in the app menu.
Or, tap alt+F2 and enter in
software-properties-gtk and hit enter key.

I do not recommend the 535 Nvidia driver

It is buggy and it's bugginess increases the higher the kernels go.
I am currently using 525 which is less buggy.

So it's just a matter of selecting 525 and reboot? Do I have any chance to fix this pain by doing so?

Yes, select the driver, then click on Apply.
It can take it a few minutes to load and and apply. A reboot is needed after changing graphics drivers. It may not look like it is needed - but it is.

A chance - yes. I would not say it is a large chance.

Done, let's hope for the best... I will let you know in the next days, thanks again!

Just a quick question: what is the difference between all these 535 verisons?

Nvidia Server Drivers are dedicated to Stability. They are identical in function the standard driver. But they get a longer support period and patches are applied more slowly.

It seems like changing drivers broke everything up. After the zorin logo everything is black and I can only see a _ which is not even blinking. I was thinking to open a tty to install the 535 back, but CTRL ALT FX doesnt work..

@Aravisian this is what I caught before the black screen:

6.899568]
7.0139631 usb 5-4: Failed to query (GET_INFO) UVC control 12 on unit 2: -32 (exp. 7.0399291 usb 5-4: Failed to query (GET INFO) UVC control 11 on unit 2: -32 (exp. 7.796526] nvidia-gpu 0000:29:00.3: 12c timeout error e0000000
7.796572] ucsi_ccg 3-0008: i2c_transfer failed -110
7.796602] ucsi_ccg 3-0008: ucsi_ccg_init failed - -110

These are direct Nvidia driver bugs and they affect Windows OS as well.

Can you reach the Grub Menu - Then select Advanced Options for Zorin
Select to boot Zorin OS on (Recovery) In the recovery menu, arrow key down to Enable Networking`
Once enabled, back up the recovery menu and arrow key down to Root - drop to prompt.
Run

sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

Once done, back out of Recovery menu and proceed to test normal boot.