Audio not working for HP Envy 17.3"

I did... but sound never worked in this computer... this is a fresh start... I got this computer last week and I installed zorin immedately.

You are not alone in this:

I wonder if the suggested patch would work on your HP Envy...

This all looks like greek to me! Any way you can help me break it down so I can try it? Or maybe there's an easier solution?

Sorry, it was late and I was not clear.

What I had meant was that I may be completely wrong and installing the latest kernel may help.
You can try it with Secure Boot disabled in BIOS Settings:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/jammy-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.06

Or

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.07

Reboot to boot into the later kernel to test.

1 Like

Searching a bit more, it seems to me that there is no patch available/released in the newest available kernel yet (but maybe in RC1 of kernel 6.9, but maybe not HP 17 as I don't find it in the code/list).

It seems to be possible to fix by using a patch in the kernel. This is not something I have knowledge to help with, but maybe Aravisian og someone else want to take a look.

First I suggest reading this thread from page 5 and the rest of the pages in the thread: No sound from internal speakers using Linux - Page 5 - HP Support Community - 8478057

I want to highlight som post/reply from user Ewanm89, first one is from page 5 in the thread, here is a link and image: Re: No sound from internal speakers using Linux - Page 5 - HP Support Community - 8478057

Screenshot from 2024-03-16 09-06-23

Further I want to highlight this post/reply from page 6 in the thread, this is also posted by the same user Ewanm89, here is link and image: Re: No sound from internal speakers using Linux - Page 6 - HP Support Community - 8478057

Screenshot from 2024-03-16 08-56-15

and then, still the same user Ewanm89, posted this: Re: No sound from internal speakers using Linux - Page 6 - HP Support Community - 8478057

Screenshot from 2024-03-16 08-58-15

However I am not sure wich patch provided by the other users in the thread he is using and all the details around what he is doing.

I think the above user Ewanm89 is using user Waldfee patch mentioned at page 5, here is link and image: Re: No sound from internal speakers using Linux - Page 5 - HP Support Community - 8478057

So, I think it is this patch: GitHub - xoocoon/hp-15-ew0xxx-snd-fix: DKMS module for fixing the sound on Linux for HP models Envy x360 15-ew0xxx and then maybe with the changed line from Ewanm89 above to give support for HP Envy 17 also:

SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8a2e, "HP ENVY Laptop 17t-cr0000", ALC287_FIXUP_CS35L41_I2C_2)

Maybe it is best to not read my post above, but read all the pages at the mentioned thread. I am posting this in the hope that maybe Aravisian or others can check if there is a solution for you here. However, it does not seem like a simple solution if you need to compile your own patch in the kernel. I would not be able to do that.

not working still... any new ideas?

Looking back at this earlier post #17.

What happens if you select "Analogue Stereo Output" option from that list.