Audio not working

I am thinking about getting a USB audio adapter to solve audio issues.

Do you have any recommendations?

I uhh... don't. I am one of those who have never had any sound issues whatsoever. Having never really needed to delve into it, it is my weakest subject.
While some guides may point you in the direction you need, hopefully other users will weigh in with good suggestions in this thread.

If you search the forum using "USB sound card", you may see some products used by others. e.g. No sound output from the jack port on MacMini - #16 by FrenchPress

Hi, please install all QasMix packages and launch the Qas Mixer.
Launch QasMixer and in the Mixer device window on the right, select "hw: Card". I have a Sound Blaster Audigy which took me some time to configure - if your sound card is shown underneath and not checked, check it and see if you get a 'pop' which means you should now have sound:

This is the same sound card selected by default in alsamixer.

Arav and Zaba.

I contacted the Manufacturer about the sound issues, it seems that they have the same problem when they installed Zorin Core. Here is what they sent me:

The sound card the laptop uses is an ES8336

We also met the same sound problem when we install Linux (Zorin Core OS), and this problem is still not solved. We're very sorry for that. And we think when this laptop is running, the default sound card will always change after the restart. HDMI's sound card may become the default sound card, which will cause the correct PCH sound card can't be found, and the laptop equips an integrated sound card, it needs to run the code to assign the sound card.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/qic2me/es8336_drivers_for_linux/

Looks like an ongoing problem as not fixed in kernel 5.16.
Serveral mentions when doing websearch of "ES8336 Ubuntu 20.04 no sound".
I found this, but no immediate solution other than get an external USB sound card.

Just got the Sound Blaster Play! 3 USB DAC.

PulseAudio detects the device, and now there is sound.

Thank you Arav and Zaba for all the help.

You can mark this post as "solution" for the time being.

Let me know if the kernel updates to support ES8336

1 Like

great post, I got the info.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.