Avif File Conversion For Zorin 17

While there are a number of programs that will convert avif files in Zorin this is by far the easiest one I have found to do the job quickly and efficiently with out the use of the terminal ... third part extensions or other work-a-rounds ..... the program is called ......

--------------------------------- gThumb v 3.12.4 ------------------------------

Simply download the program from the Software Center or if you prefer you can use the terminal to install it ...... and in 5 simple steps which include batch filing photos and you are done ..... this may also work on other versions of Zorin ----

Step 1

Make gThumb your default photo apt for avif files .......

Step 2

Download some avif files ....

Step 3

In the top right hand corner you will see a wrench symbol for tools ..... open it and choose the Convert Format to change from avif to another format ..... I chose png ....

Step 4

You need go no further but if you want to batch your newly convert files than this is for you ..... high-lite all the files you want to batch ..... right click on one of them ..... from the drop down menu choose Rename .....

Step 5

Congratulations you have now formatted and batched your photos

1 Like

Sorry for any mistakes in the tutorial above ..... we had a power outage 2 hours ago and I was just now able to get back in and make some corrections ......

Is there any cli tool available for avif to jpg/png conversion?

I am using imagemagick to convert webp pictures into other formats. But it isn't working with avif files.

1 Like

When I was searching for programs to open avif files I also looked into ImageMagick but I got lost real quick when it started talking about using cli to open avif files and I know nothing about Command Line Interface ..... besides I had real problems getting the menu's large enough for me to see with out the use of a magnifying glass ..... so I dumped it real quick .....

Sorry I can't help ..... I did notice in my searching it all depends on the version of the apt you are using .....

I got GIMP to open avif but no batch so only one photo at a time ..... the same with Darktable ..... a lot of apts claim to open avif but I've only managed to get gThumb to work the way I want with both avif format and batching photos .....

Thanks for mentioning. Currently this 8:6.9.x.x version is installed. Will check for it's new version tomorrow.

1 Like

It is newer than the one I have which is 6.9.11 but then I never got it to work so I can't really tell if yours would work or not ...... good luck ......

1 Like

I did try with imagemagick at version 7 and it works, although transparency is still a bit buggy. Unfortunately you need to compile from source as it's not available in the repositories.

2 Likes

I guess it's system specific. I got the version 7 also but it still doesn't support rw mode of avif file on my side.

I will stick with an online converter for now.

1 Like

Why not just download and install gThumb and only use it to handle avif files ..... that is what I do as my main photo program is XnView MP ..... I just transfer my converted avif files in gThumb over to XnView MP and I'm done .....

Just a suggestion .... if you make gThumb your default app for avif files only .... that is all it will do ....it does not interfere with your normal viewing photo app .... all other formats will revert directly to your main photo program .....

1 Like

Sure I will give it a try.

1 Like

Maybe, I did try on Debian 12 actually so that may be the difference. But as I recall you need to explicitly enable support for some file formats when building the source code. I'll take a look later and try to replicate this again with Zorin OS 17.

1 Like

Weird, it's installing imagemagick version 6.x but it does have support for AVIF out of the box for me. I think what's happening is that IM 7.x has a higher minimum version of libheif, the library providing AVIF support.

So, maybe try to re-install? Unless you need imagemagick at version 7... but in that case I found another CLI tool for AVIF conversion while looking into this.

I didn't know that could be the case. I've done this on a virtual machine, so maybe there was something there that helped with it, but just tried on Zorin OS 16 Lite and didn't work there (also VM). I may have installed something that I don't remember; I'll try again later from a fresh install.

1 Like