Before I dualboot Zorin or any other Linux distro

When I press the power button switch off (both)
Sleep=Sleep.
When I close the lid on mains do nothing, on battery, sleep.

Turning off fast start up (untickedl is the correct option.
You should be good to go.

Just the 'Disabling fast startup' only?

In power settings within Windows. You will need to disable Fast Boot in the BIOS too.

Okay. I believe I have done this but I will check again

Just disabled Secure Boot on BIOS

Does Windows use GPT partitioning or mbr? If mbr then you may want to consider installing the non-traditional way as espoused by Matthew Moore.

1 Like

How can I tell? Nevermind, I use CMD and it was GPT

This is a little off-topic but would I be correct in saying that Linux does not support HP Laserjet Pro MFP M227fdw? Could not find it anywhere.

All I could find is this:

and this page which states it is supported under hplip:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index?language=pt

Go to the main page for instructions:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/

I have a Canon inkjet mfp and ironically they used to package a scanner interface similar to the Windows one which they dropped for a very basic interface so I paid for the Pro version of VueScan which has tons more options. You can download a demo version from here:

In that case I would place GRUB at the start of the partition you have set aside for Zorin. I don't think you can use the non-traditional method which is based on mbr not gpt.

I use:
sudo apt install aptitude
sudo apt install dpkg
... they augment apt.

sudo apt install fwupdate
... the firmware update utility for printer, hard drive, BIOS, camera, etc. firmware.

sudo apt install hardinfo
... a utility to show you all the hardware you've got in your machine, so you can more easily find the right drivers.

sudo apt install kmod
... a kernel module installation app.

sudo apt install packagekit
... a package management app that shows you the dependencies and reverse-dependencies.

You've likely got most of those already installed, but it's good to know they're there, and how to use them.

A virus is a form of malware... malware is any software which does something the user doesn't want.

Malware can be a rootkit (software that runs as root to hide itself from the user and often attempts to hide from the OS), a virus (software which is capable of replicating across machines via drives or network... it can be in the form of a rootkit and spyware/adware), spyware (which spies on you to steal your data... this can include corporate spyware to monetize your data, keystroke loggers, camera hijackers, microphone hijackers, etc.) or ad-ware (software which pops up ads to monetize them) or hijack-ware or ransomware (something which encrypts your drives then demands a ransom to decrypt them, something which futzes with your internet connection then demands a ransom to fix it, something which generally neuters some functionality then demands a ransom to fix it).

What I do is double-NAT with two hardware firewalls, then the software firewall on each computer. The cable modem (192.168.1.1) has a rudimentary firewall (cable is a shared connection... it just prevents other users on the same wire from accessing your network). It runs into the wired router (192.168.10.1), which has its own packet-filtering firewall enabled. That goes to a wireless router (192.168.100.1), which also has its own packet-filtering firewall enabled.

That way, I can dump unwanted packets at the wired router firewall (I used to set up honeypots here to catch hackers and spammers back in the day), and for any stuff I'm running which requires it, I can poke holes through to the computer running that stuff, without requiring a straight-through hole (I can change which port the data is on for each subnet).

One could also get certain routers and install OPNsense, OpenWRT, pfSense or IPfire on it to get better firewall options than the router's default firmware provides.

I did use firewalla for a while before it got buggy with YouTube stating you needed Gsuite to view!

I found the printer. HP honestly could do better having a filter search bar but I found it.

Now looking deeply into the link you sent, I think I recalled having that issue on just the VM

Nevermind, will have to test it again to get a clear and concise problem (or non-problem)

Useful information

Thank you for the help

I entertained those things like OPNSense, pfSense and others on a video from Naomi Brockwell but that's not something that is critical to do but I find the importance of it

I finally around to watching this. It actually wasn't as hard as it looks. I will watch it more intently again with notes so I can verify all the required steps, and may post on this chat if I am doing the right thing

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.