Dual-booting Windows with Linux the non-traditional method

To save the least heartache, the best way to dual-boot is the non-traditional method, promulgated by Matthew Moore:

My long-winded version:

Whilst my video is older windows and older Zorin the principles still apply! :wink:

1 Like

The best they are not on the same hard disk and I can choose which one to boot.
Also I saw onone video Desktop Linux obok Windows. Wielosystemowość, obra
from 44min 37sec he can simple choice which one operating system in grub will be a first.

Here also some history and some information about linux if you want with translator reading Podstawowe definicje związane z Linuxem

I need help please. After following entire processes, and reboot, this shows up. Can't boot because kernel isn't loaded. I already choose the right partition tho

No worry, I already figured it out myself by importing grub.cfg to Grub2Win and it is able to boot normally (need to reedit the path by removing /boot). Thx alot.

I am wondering IF/how many (here) have installed using this (non-traditional/fist video) method?

If not - was it because you were 1) not aware of it, 2) didn't find it useful, 3) had already installed 'traditional' way or 4) ???

Thanks for feedback

I installed it this way with Zorin 9 and Windows 7 Pro, and here is the video:

I admit I had not watched this video after viewing the 'non-traditional' video above it. I also noted that this was done with Zorin 9 and Windows Pro 7 both older OSs.

While its a drag to write up 'instructions', a (check) list of steps with short references to computer details [like - do in Disk Management, do that in XXX] would be fabulous so one could see steps involved as well as compare different methods.

Sounds like you had fun with voice un-recognition :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, but sadly it made it more difficult for me to follow.

Viva la difference!

I had used the method I outlined in the tutorials and guides section....[HOW TO] Partition & Install Zorin 16

1 Like

I don't like listening to my voice, the only videos with me in it were for work colleagues on GIMP, Okular and creating Braille Maths using Okular and Braille Blaster. I used espeak created from text funnily enough in the video you watched.

I very much do appreciate the excellent assistance to be found at this forum. What I find difficult is ending up feeling like Alice sliding down rabbit holes. One link leading to another then yet another . . . Perhaps i get easily confused, but that how my newbie experience has been going.

Certainly its grand to have choices between different methods resulting in set ups that reflect each operator's needs and preferences. However the 'how-tos' lend a hope of some stability and limits of tasks to be done in order to get and use this delightful OS that replaces piggy MS and its cascading versions of Windows.

The more I read and think about what OS I choose, perhaps just installing Zorin and letting Windows sit like a lump on my generous space of HD might be the ticket for me. I mean like WHY keep Windows if I am not going to make any use it???

3 Likes

Dual boot, as I outlined in the guide, is an option, just in case. Reducing the size of the Windows partition limits its ability to monopolize your drive and allows you to have access, from Zorin, to any data there. While backups are still recommended, as long as you take from the right side (end) of the partition, you should have no issue.

I recommend that you read through it, a few times, look at the corresponding screenshots and have an understanding of what you will be doing.

While the alongside method automates this process, it usually puts one of the OSs in an extended partition, making booting difficult and a process. Manually doing it eliminates that issue.

Again, your choice, but I would seriously consider a dual boot.

I really appreciate your feedback Harvey. I am having serious second thoughts about doing any changes to the new Lenovo laptop until I better understand this process and am more comfortable with Zorin too.

I'm more thinking about mounting Zorin on my original (ThinkPad) laptop, clearing off (formating) the now dead Windows 7 partition and installing Zorin there. I have looked at the HD using Disks in Linux Mint, but I can't tell which partition is the old Windows one!

I would point you to Gparted instead of Disks for looking at and/or manipulating disk partitions. I think it is a safer option as you can test changes before you enact them.

1 Like

I will give Gparted a go zaba. I did use Disks and got a look at my HD, but it really didn't help me to see which partition is Windows and which is Linux. I took some photos of that screen so can compare those with what Gparted shows me.

Windows should show small partitions as FAT32 and the main one NTFS. THE Linux Partition will be identified as Ext4.

Thanks for that note Swar. I finally got a snapshot of my Disks and Gparted HD pages. I am considering setting up my old ThinkPad with Zorin for my husband's use.