BIOS Settings

I know we are not primarily a Tech support group and this has nothing to do with Zorin or any other OS for that matter but a question about my Acer BIOS problem .... and this is the only place I trust with answers .... so here goes ....

I have an Acer V3-572PG-93RL laptop which I have revived after being dormant for 3-4 years .... I never paid much attention to the date or day but have had to run it in Legacy mode instead of UEFI for it to boot up for the past several days ....

The power battery is dead and I removed it as it can be installed by adding or removing on the back cover and not inside the machine .... every time I remove the power cord the BIOS must be manually switched from UEFI to Legacy in order for it to run but with the power cord connected you can shut down or restart with no problem .... just don't disconnect the power cord

I my experience and from what I have read on the net it means your CMOS battery is shot .... so the Mrs and I (her fingers are a lot smaller than mine) opened up the Acer and discovered that the CMOS batter as well as the RAM is not located under the back cover but on the back of the MB so we had to completely disassemble the machine in it's entirety ....

Now is when I discovered that the battery is soldered in .... no where on Tubie did it show that it is not a 3V CR2032 battery as commonly found in 98% of all computers .... this one looks like a button battery installed in a watch .....

So we bundled up the MB and I sent the Mrs off to the repair shop to get a new battery .... she called and said the guy had a used one but a new one would take approx 3 weeks to get .... so I told her to have him make sure the battery was good and install that one .... I hate leaving my computers with anyone especially over night ..

We got it home and put everything back together and knowing I would have to set the time and date on the BIOS I did so and also changed the UEFI to Legacy and the laptop booted up .... let it run for several hours ..... unplugged the power cord and took a nap ..... woke up plugged the power cord back in and all my saved BIOS settings were gone ..... it was just like it was before ....

So my question is is my BIOS set up right (see Photos below) or is there something else that could cause the BIOS (I assume) to loose it's memory ????? .... I also assume that the OS has no baring on how the BIOS works as the BIOS comes from the manufacturer of the computer and not the software maker .....

Should I try and update the BIOS as I think there is one available .....

Anyway that is my sad story and I'm hoping for a happy ending ..... :exploding_head: :grinning:

Oh by the way I do have a Supervisors password installed ..... other wise I can not change the UEFI to Legacy

2 Likes

I adjusted your attached images slightly in order to remove certain information from visibility.
It looks like you have Secure Boot enabled - Are you dual booting Windows on this machine?

2 Likes

No only Win 7 .... when I change from UEFI to Legacy it disables Secure Boot .... should have made a photo of that but I forgot ....

1 Like

Thanks for making the adjustments .... I'm thinking maybe the used battery he put in didn't work .....

2 Likes

This confuses me.

2 Likes

This machine is not my Asus which dual boots Win 10 and Zorin ..... this is my Acer laptop that I set up for gaming and runs Win 7 ..... sorry

1 Like

As I don't think the OS has any effect on the BIOS I didn't mention the OS as I know some folks don't like to hear the word Windows OS

1 Like

Ok, so it is dual booting (Windows 7) - but the Secure Boot gets disabled by using Legacy (MBR) anyway...
Other than Secure boot showing as enabled, I do not see anything obvious in the rest of the settings that would point to this issue.
Really, your first suggestion of the battery not working correctly, therfor, the system not being able to save and store your settings makes the most sense.

1 Like

Thank you sir that is what I thought .... I just wanted to have someone else confirm it as I have forgotten a lot about computers over the years even though I built one from the ground up even ordering all the components separately .... the Win 7 OS I'm using in the Acer laptop came from that build ...

1 Like

Others may have other suggestions. But from a surface look... You have one bad battery already. And that is a pretty old machine...

2 Likes

We called the tech guy yesterday and he said to bring the whole laptop back and he would replace the used battery with a new one as his boss sent him a new supply ..... and it worked ..... it is so nice just to have to push the power button and have the machine fire right up ..... :clap: :clap: ....

By the way they do the repair right before you so you can see everything they do .... no hiding in a back room swapping new parts for old ones or replacing bad parts with used ones unless they ask you and you agree ......

Anyway it is nice to see the ol' girl working again ....

2 Likes

Oh and I should add that the labor price and the battery came to around $26 and change ..... not bad really ....

2 Likes

Good thing I will only be using this computer to game on as I can't update the BIOS because my battery is dead and even though I am plugged in to AC .... I get a message that my battery must have 15% charge in order to update the BIOS .... there are 6 BIOS updates for this model Acer ....

Anyway I tried some work around suggestions from tubie but none of them worked including the /forceit command in the Win terminal .... may look some more but not going to spend a lot of time on it .... a new battery is about $60 and as I don't use the battery it is kinda a waste of money just to update the BIOS ....

There was one suggestion I didn't try but it was kinda involved and required changing some code in the battery alarm program .... if it was a simple registry change I could handle it but changing the code required downloading several programs and using them and no guarantee that it would work when I was done ....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.