Black external screen after booting

Hi!

I've been browsing around this forum but haven't seen a similar setup with this issue. If there is one, apologies!

I recently installed Zorin OS 16 Pro to my laptop alongside Windows and it's been mostly a nice experience so far! However, this booting issue I'm having is driving me somewhat crazy.

My setup is that I use an external 4k gaming monitor (Acer XV273K) via HDMI with my Razer Blade Pro 17 (2016) lid closed. So, I'm not currently using the laptop's own screen at all.

When I boot to Zorin, my external screen stays dark, but the laptop's screen is lit up with just a blurred background. What I think is happening is that Zorin detects that an external screen is connected, but no data is transferred to the screen.

What I've had to do so far is to disconnect the screen, which then allows me to login via the laptop's screen. But then when I try to reconnect the external screen, the same problem continues (My current display setting is to only use the external screen). At this point both screens are now dark.

I was able to get the picture back to the laptop's screen by deleting the ~/.config/monitors.xml file and then after switching between different display modes randomly, I'm able to get the external display to show a picture once again.

But the problem repeats whenever I boot back to Zorin.

I installed Zorin with NVIDIA drivers. Here's some details of the laptop:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HK CPU @ 2.90GHz
  • nVidia GP104BM [GeForce GTX 1080 Mobile]

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.