Black screen after "An error occurred, please run package manager"

From what I know, it is.

It has a $?
If it is simply desktop, it should be:

cd /home/desktop

It is Case Sensitive...

Thanks for your patience. I get the same errors.

I am at a lost at this point. We have tried a lot of things... Uhh... When was the last time you backed up your personal files? You may need to copy all personal files to an external drive with the Recovery Terminal...

Hmm...like never :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Can you share a tutorial for backing up files with the Recovery Terminal, please, if you're aware of one?

Do you think I have the right permissions to copy/move those files? Do you know how can I check that?

It's not about personal files as much as the whole OS set up, browser's bookmarks, Chrome Speed Dial 2 pages, etc.
And the whole config. Oh... please don't tell me that I need to reinstall Zorin and reconfigure it from scratch :sob::sob::sob:

You can reinstall your OS while retaining most if not all configurations by keeping your home partition intact during the reinstall. You will however, have to reinstall all the apps. Apps installed via flatpak and snap will remain. Once you install the apps again they will follow the configurations that were saved in the home partition. However, I recommend you backup your personal files just in case...

Note: For this to work you should have a separate home partition.

1 Like

Wasn't able to find a tutorial step by step with that, do you happen to know one?

Do you have a separate home partition?

Do you have a separate home partition?

Do you mean as when I was having Windows installed on C:/ and personal files (music, videos, etc.) on D:/? No, I was having only one partition with Zorin, like C:/ with all the files on Desktop.

Can you run lsblk in the recovery terminal?

Alright I will be away for some time..I will come back a little later. Sorry for the inconvenience. Meanwhile, please post the output of lsblk.

Sure:

1 Like

Hmm..Unfortunately you don't have a separate home partition, therefore, reinstailling while retaining your configuration won't be possible.. You will need to backup your personal files and reinstall OS.

Next time remember to create a separate /home partition when you reinstall, the OS.
The C: drive in windows is equivalent to the '/' partition in linux also known as the root partition. In Windows, your personal files that is documents, pictures, videos; etc. are all stored in the C: drive. In Linux, you get additional option where, you can create a '/home' partition which contains the music, pictures, documents; etc. This allows you to reinstall your OS without losing data and also, at times, preserves your data when your system breaks.

I reinstalled Zorin but it doesn't work still, I get:

L.E.: I decided to get back to Windows. Thanks all for trying to help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.