Bleachbit - how safe is it?

I have been using CCleaner on Windows and Bleachbit on Linux for several years without any issue. Yet, time to time, I encounter quite negative comments on those so-called system optimizers. Seeing that Bleachbit can be installed in Software in Zorin, it cannot be that dangerous.

I'd like to hear from other Zorin users about their opinion regarding pros and cons of system optimizers such as Bleachbit.

1 Like

There have been some horror stories around bleachbit over the years, though it could be saver now.
What about Stacer instead?

1 Like

Thanks for this tip @Storm
Just found this Stacer review article at OMG Ubuntu

It looks gorgeous :star_struck: I like its looks over the Bleachbit.
I will install it on my testing laptop first and if all goes well, I will use this instead of Bleachbit.

1 Like

what is the difference between bleachbit and stacer? I once Bleachbit and now do not use.

I am not Storm but another cat icon member here :cat2:

You might find the following page informative. After I read it I decided to switch to Stacer.

I think the biggest difference is that Stacer is developed on Electron where as Bleachbit is using GTK+3. There are some criticism for Electron apps but it is hard to deny that they are very nice looking :sparkles:

I would say that Bleachbit and Stacer are at about the same level of "safe" as long as a person Reads and Follows the directions.
Personally, I find the placebo effect is stronger than the results. Ever run the cleaner and it displays the long list of cleaning and finally yields 142 kbs of freed space?

Impressive.

Really, sudo apt clean and sudo apt autoremove are most of what you need. Many may prefer to clean out Trash and Thumbnails on occasion; both of which are in ~/.local/share so no root needed.
Personally, I use ubuntu-cleaner (If I am in a hurry) because it hits those basics without all the fluff and pomp. Running Ubuntu Cleaner does what I just said: Cleans out the thumbnail cache, apt-clean, removes installed package configs. All you need, really.

Preferences matter. Stacer comes with some good charts and graphs and such; but to me it is not a selling point since my conky's display all that stuff 24/7.

1 Like

Stacer doesn't have nearly as much in the way of hashes used during wiping of a folder, partition or drive. Never the less it should be fine for the average user. Stacer also provides other optimization options other than a clean wipe, including cpu, ram and storage (hdd, ssd) monitors and more. It is more a system monitor with more functionality than the stock one provided in the os.

If you're familiar with bleachbit it is much different. Bleachbit focused on secure deletion of files, directories, partitions and drives. I'm not sure if it was ever optimized for ssd's, i stopped using it years ago.

1 Like

I remember i used bleachbit before. Are you seriously this isn't good software?
If this isn't safety then what is your opinion to use another software in Linux?

I think you misunderstand my comments.
I wanted to ask general opinion by others.

I am keep on using Bleachbit and so as my entire family.
As long as settings are done correctly, it is much safer than wrong commands in terminal.

then bleachbit is more safety if you in terminal could delete some files what could be unstable Zorin. Now I understand. I used before bleachbit on another platforms.

1 Like

Blockquote Bleachbit - how safe is it?

Well, as long as you don't drink it, its very safe.

2 Likes

This depends on the user and their inventions. Are you trying to find ways to break the software or the os? It can only perform actions you initiate and confirm the execution. It safely deletes any files and directories you instruct it to.

Bleachbit has been around since the 90's. The author is a respectable member of the security community interested in privacy and leaving nothing to chance.

By the way, the only safe computer is one that never contacts the internet. What are you worried about?

2 Likes

Bleachbit has an autoremove and cleaning options which can be run from the the terminal also. Problems can occur when 3rd party software such as PPA's share dependencies from removed applications, the result being a broken package system. Users who install more than one desktop environment should be cautious of this as well.

1 Like