Bluetooth problematic

After trying many approaches to adding Bluetooth keyboard and mouse I have given up for now.
checked security and main.config for correct settings
I thing its a problem with Ubuntu 20.4 and in particular the kernel
i tried up grading to stable kernel 5.14 but the problem persists.
"post-eric" had similar issue as in can connect and then disconnects.
although i had period where connection is maintained for periods but i noticed if i used the USB port for and purpose again Bluetooth stopped.
thanks finnboat

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The built in Bluetooth setting is not very good.
I recommend you to install Blueman from Software and use it instead to connect Bluetooth peripherals.

1 Like

Fully endorse this statement. I use blueman and have no trouble with my speakers, headphones or mouse.

1 Like

From another post I fixed the problem
working ok for now
sudo apt install -y linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-80-generic

1 Like

I did not know this solution.
Would you mind to share the result of this command?
lspci

my understanding is that this command adds missing Bluetooth components to the Ubuntu kernel needed to operate effectively.
its now been working for many hours in including across restarts
Finnboat

PS i don't know why the core kernel team haven't included in the basis kernel

They do:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-27-generic is already the newest version (5.11.0-27.29~20.04.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

You rolled your kernel back. :wink:

I'm not aware that i rolled back
Linux 5.11.0-34-generic on x86_64
this is the Kernel i am working with and before the patch applied Bluetooth was problematic

Your kernel includes four parts:

• headers
  • generic
  • modules

The modules you are now using are 5.4.0-80. The headers are still 5.11, since you did not install that package, only the modules-extras.
Zorin OS does include the modules-extras package for 5.11 - so, it appears that there is a regression from 5.4 to 5.11.
This may be because the 5.11 is a hirsute Hippo kernel (testing), not LTS like 5.4 and 5.8 are.

Thank you for the explanation.
I installed Zorin 16 via USB boot using Belenetcher to load the iso one week ago on two different machines.
my hardware is Broadcom

Bluetooth did not work out of the box so I can only assume the the Kernel is broken in the ISO published on the Zorin site?

At least for your hardware, it appears so.
Fortunately, the previous modules work correctly. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! This was the cure for my mouse.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.