Bluetooth sound is garbled Zorin Pro Dual Boot

Hi, I'm having issues with the bluetooth sound being completely garbled. This is a fresh install of Z Pro. On Linux Mint, Manjaro and Windows bluetooth worked. I'm thinking this may be a kernel issue?

I have a brand new Dell xps 9700

Audio:
`NVIDIA TU106 High Definition Audio vendor: Dell
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:10f9
Sound SeDevice-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Dell driver: sof-audio-pci
bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:06c8

Device-2: rver: ALSA v: k5.11.0-27-generic
Network:
Device-1: Qualcomm vendor: Bigfoot Networks driver: ath11k_pci v: kernel
port: 3000 bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 17cb:1101
IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: `

If this is a kernel issue, how in the world do I update it? I've only been using Linux for a wk. Manjaro and Mint both had kernel managers. I can't find that in Zorin Pro. After an hr of reading, I installed Synaptics but for the life of me can't figure out how to find the right kernel or how to install/uninstall with it.

I recommend Synaptic Package manager. It is a very useful and advanced tool. It also has a learning curve... I struggled with it a bit when I first moved over to Linux, too.:expressionless:
But it is actually pretty easy.
In this, the two most important buttons are on the Top Toolbar- Apply and Search.
Hit the Search button and enter in either the full name of the package you want- or a general search term to search through any related packages.
For the kernel, search for "linux-headers."
The beauty of Synaptic is that when you mark such a package for installation, it will pop up a window asking you to confirm any dependencies or additional packages you need. In this case, the kernel image, modules, etc.
I do not recommend updating the kernel unless needed. The next version in the numerical line is not necessarily "updated" or "better." It addresses some newer hardware issues sometimes. But the kernel can need revision and corrections...
Think of the Windows kernel, where the NT kernel was used for over 15 years.
Stable Matters.

1 Like

Hi, thanks so much for the reply. The package manager is what I have, and I did search "linux-headers" before I posted here, but it returns 100's of options. I have absolutely no clue what I should install. It may be simple to use if you are experienced, but I am literally brand new to Linux, and the options of what to install is baffling. All I know is that on Manjaro and Mint, I used a driver that was in the 5.12 version range.

I also have no clue as to how to uninstall a kernel if I end up selecting the wrong one.

Stable is great, agreed. But if my computer doesn't fully function properly on it....

Please, as I said, I'm brand new. How to I find the right kernel? How do I uninstall it if it's the wrong one? Zorin is supposed to be a stepping stone distro for Windows users, but without a simple Kernel Manger it makes it impossible for those with new computers and zero knowledge.

You may consider posting this strong point in the Feedback Forum. This way the Zorin OS Devs can see and consider it.

Which to install: Usually you have already found information that tells you the answer to this question...

With this, it seems you want the 5.12 kernel - which another user on here also needs for their hardware.
Because of another users need for the 5.12 kernel, I have already checked Synaptic Package manager for it- it is not listed. The reason why it is not listed became apparent in the thread: The Ubuntu Guys listed a dependency for Compiling (Not for using) the 5.12 kernel with libc6 version 2.33 (Which doesn't even show up in Ubuntu until Ubuntu 21.04... They fixed this for the 5.13 kernel which depends on libc6 2.31 -Which you have (and the user does, as well) but left out the important hardware modules that 5.12 had!

There is no way I can try to uplift the Ubuntu Devs on this one. They messed up.
But this is also a big part of why it is advised to use a working kernel rather than just updating it higher for the sake of Higher...

Hmm... I have zero sound from my speakers. And bluetooth gives me a garbled mess.

So, from what I am understanding from your reply, I have no choice but to wait for Ubuntu devs. But the thing is, I just came from Linux Mint and both my sound and bluetooth were working properly when I went to the 5.12 kernel.

Now I am really confused. Did I just throw away money on a Zorin distro that I can't even use?

No, I am not saying that, actually. I was following your point here:

This implies you had researched it and discovered the 5.12 kernel - as myself and another user were just discussing in another thread.
Timing...

This may not be the case- and it may be the Bluetooth Manager that is faulty, not the kernel.

Hmm... yes. Brilliant! That would be a good place to start. If I installed Blueman would that conflict with the currently installed default bluetooth manager?

Also...

You may consider posting this strong point in the Feedback Forum. This way the Zorin OS Devs can see and consider it.

Great idea. I will head over there later today.

PS: Greatly appreciate your help!! Thank you, thank you! :pray:

That is a good question and I do not know enough about each package to know the answer as to whether they conflict.
I use blueman because that is the default in XFCE.
It works perfectly on my Avantree headset and my bluetooth speaker.

Bam! Just like that. It's all working now. It was just the manager. Blueman was the ticket. Thank you!!

1 Like

@Tink Can you please mark this as :ballot_box_with_check: Solution if this is now fixed.

I did yesterday. I can see the "solution" option is still checked & green in the thread. IDK why it isn't showing to everyone else.

It is visible now. Must be the browser cache.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.