Bluetooth Weirdness (Keyboard and Earbuds)

Hello! New to Linux, Zorin is only my second distro but I really like it and I think I'll be using it for a long while :purple_heart:

However, I've been experiencing some issues with my bluetooth devices that I haven't had when I was still using Windows.

1. My bluetooth earbuds can pair and connect just fine, except for some reason I don't think they register as an input device? Like, it works just fine as an output device, but it does not show up as an input device at all. The only microphone that shows up, both in Sound Settings and PulseAudio, is my laptop's internal mic.

EDIT: Managed to get mic detected through Pipewire. Still working on audio input quality.

1. For my keyboard, my problem is that it doesn't work on boot. I have to log in first and manually do some disconnecting/re-pairing/connecting dance for a bit before I can get it to work. Bluetooth settings will report my keyboard as "connected" but it's not working. Sometimes it even says "connected" even when I switch my keyboard off.

I'm not sure what information will help, but here's some info about my system:

Other small questions
  1. Is there a way to change function lock at boot? On Windows, I could use my alternate function keys by default. Now I have to press fn+esc all the time at boot.
  2. Sometimes my system freezes (nothing works--sometimes the cursor moves but clicks and key presses do nothing and I'm forced to hard reboot :crying_cat_face:) and I can't figure out why. It only started today though, so I'm almost certain I can figure this out, but any tips on where to start looking?

Monitoring for now...

1. The shortcut to copy screenshots to clipboard only seems to work after I make a screenshot to be saved to directory. What gives?

SOLVED: Just had to make Screenshot an autostart application.

Thanks!

EDIT: new information
sudo lshw -C network

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: wlp1s0
version: 00
serial: d8:c0:a6:34:ff:27
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtw_8821ce driverversion=5.15.0-58-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.254.113 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:79 ioport:f000(size=256) memory:fea00000-fea0ffff

sudo lshw -C video

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Renoir
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: c3
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
resources: irq:53 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:fe700000-fe77ffff

Also I have TLP installed.

Can you please post the terminal output of

sudo lshw -C network

This is OS independent. The settings for it should be in your BIOS / EFI Settings. You might check for this on your next reboot, going into your motherboard settings prior to booting.

You might check fans and temps - if using notebook computer, you can install TLP

sudo apt install tlp

This may be a graphics card issue. Can you relay the terminal output of

sudo lshw -C video

Gnome and freezing along with Bluetooth - I am not surprised. It is why I use Zorin OS Lite. :wink:

Have you tried using Flameshot screenshot application?

1 Like
sudo lshw -C network

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: wlp1s0
version: 00
serial: d8:c0:a6:34:ff:27
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtw_8821ce driverversion=5.15.0-58-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.254.113 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:79 ioport:f000(size=256) memory:fea00000-fea0ffff

sudo lshw -C video

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Renoir
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: c3
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
resources: irq:53 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:fe700000-fe77ffff

Thank you for all the other tips! I'll look into the BIOS settings and maybe Flameshot :> Hopefully I figure this stuff out before having to switch to Lite lol.
edit: Also I already had TLP installed.

1 Like

This should work... You might try using Pipewire instead of Pulseaudio:
https://atish3604.medium.com/solved-bluetooth-headset-mic-not-working-detected-in-ubuntu-20-04-86a5236444d0

Can you please run

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

reboot and monitor for more freezing...

1 Like

This worked!...sorta. My mic is now detected, but the quality/volume is so low that it's kind of useless now? My voice fades in and out, and for Discord it eventually stops working altogether. I'll take it as a win for now though lol.

Will monitor the freezing problem, thanks!
(Also, figured out the screenshot problem: just had to make Screenshot an autostart application.)

1 Like

You might take a look in alsa- run

alsamixer

from terminal. @zabadabadoo may be able to help you with Alsa. For me, it is a weak subject.
Or there is this Reddit that covers it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxaudio/comments/pzwuak/microphone_volume_very_low/

1 Like

In alsamixer
Hit [F6] to show all soundcards and check correct one is set.

Hit [F5] to showe all sound channels.

Check any mic channels are shown muted [MM], unmute by pointing to that channel and hit "M"key. Increase the volume sliders to max.

If [Auto-Mute] is set Enabled, try toggling that to Disabled.

You can have a play around with other line input settings to see if any change or improvement is made. Sometimes some alsamixer channel setting unrelated to mic can have a (illogical) impact.

If all fails, post a screenshot of your alsamixer screen and we will see if we can find anything else we can try there.

1 Like

Thank you for the help! Tinkering with the settings definitely improved things :purple_heart: I think I can get my audio perfect with a little more playing around.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.