Bootable usb key for Zorin 17 Beta not working on Mac

Dear all,

I've been trying to create a bootable usb key for Zorin 17 Beta on Mac without success. I've downloaded Zorin 17 Beta iso and used BalenaEtcher to create a bootable usb key. When I boot, I can't see Zorin 17 Beta.
I also tried the manual way from Ubuntu documentation without success either: How to install Ubuntu on MacBook using USB Stick - Community Help Wiki
I've successfully created bootable usb keys for Zorin 16 and other distros before.

Any idea how I could resolve this?
Thank you

Have you verified the checksum of the ISO? I had a similar issue, though not on a mac, that was caused by corruption of the ISO during a copy, while the downloaded file still had the correct checksum.

Verify that, and use Rufus or unetbootin to create the USB. I used Rufus, with FAT32 in MBR/GPT and a DD write. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I believe the OP is stuck with Balena Etcher as it is the only USB creation tool compatible with a Mac. Check the Hash key of the downloaded .iso as 337harvey suggested. Then try burning again - have you got Zorin installed already? Just use Disks to make sure that your USB is not failing by doing a smart test on it.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I did re-download it four time but no I haven’t checksum the file. Actually do you know where I can find the original checksum for the Zorin 17 beta iso?
Thanks, I will try Rufus and unetbootin.

Bottom entry

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I have Zorin 16 as a dual boot. That’s a good point, I can do a smart test on it. Also, I could try other usb creation tools from Zorin 16.

Super, thanks!

1 Like

You can also use the Disks application to burn the .ISO file... select the USB stick, click the '3 vertical dots' button at top-right, select "Restore Disk Image", select the .ISO file, set it to burning. Balena Etcher never worked for me.

3 Likes

Thank you for the help. The checksum was fine. Actually using unetbootin instead of BalenaEtcher solved the problem. I can now try Zorin 17 Beta which looks great by the way.

1 Like

Thanks, that's good to know. Yeah, it's weird, it's the first time that BalenaEtcher is not working for me.