Brother printer printing in grayscale

FIX UPDATE: Play the clown music. After several cleaning cycles, the color started showing up in test prints. Turns out, this is a simple matter of ink dying out from being unused. Sometimes, things are silly :sweat_smile:

I connected my printer (Brother DCP-J100) for the first time today, following the instructions on Zorin Help. I think I did it correctly, and was able to print out a test page.

However, the test page was entirely grayscale, including (what I assume to be) the color wheel. Also while the quality of printed text was good, the color wheel itself had that horizontal lines problem.

I tried printing something else, a colorful image, and made sure the settings weren't on grayscale. Same problem though, plus the image was even very faded out? It was missing details, as if there was a problem printing out lighter colors. Some white portions of the image were fully blank.

Some other things I noticed:

1. The notifications for printing status seemed out of sync. Like it'd tell me the job was finished even while the printing was still happening.
  2. There's a button to "clean print heads" and clicking that seems to do nothing.

I think the driver install tool is not needed. Just posted to help another Zorin user who has a MFC-J5955DW.

I have PM'd AZorin about the help page as I don't think the Brother tool is needed - this item installs all packages in one go - I think it is better to just install the .deb packages using Gdebi Package Manager.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried uninstalling all the packages and then manually reinstalling each one with gdebi, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. The test print still comes out the same.

FIX UPDATE: Play the clown music. After several cleaning cycles, the color started showing up in test prints. Turns out, this is a simple matter of ink dying out from being unused. Sometimes, things are silly :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I was almost going to mention something on those lines! At work there was a Canon MP printer that was not printing - taking the ink out and running the cartridge carrier under hot water solved it!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.