BUG REPORT: nautilus[4387]: segfault at 20 ip 00007f64da9e9224 sp 00007fff37444a28 error 4 in libgio-2.0.so.0.6400.6[7f64da93b000+113000]

This segfault occurs at the end of the boot process. Nautilus operates normally after boot.

This is a known error from November of 2020:
https://www.mail-archive.com/desktop-bugs%40lists.ubuntu.com/msg783526.html

It's been marked as a duplicate of:

The nautilus packages I have installed:

gir1.2-nautilus-3.0/focal-updates,focal-security,now 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1.20.04.2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libraries for nautilus components - gir bindings

gnome-sushi/focal,now 3.38.0-1+zorin1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
sushi is a quick previewer for nautilus

libnautilus-extension1a/focal-updates,focal-security,now 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1.20.04.2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libraries for nautilus components - runtime version

nautilus/focal-updates,focal-security,now 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1.20.04.2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
file manager and graphical shell for GNOME

nautilus-admin/focal,now 1.1.9-3 all [installed]
Extension for Nautilus to do administrative operations

nautilus-data/focal-updates,focal-security,now 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1.20.04.2 all [installed,automatic]
data files for nautilus

python3-nautilus/focal,now 1.2.3-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
Python binding for Nautilus components (Python 3 version)

So the only package I have installed that isn't default is nautilus-admin.

I don't have any libgio (Gnome Input/Output) packages installed. Do I need to install the libgio package? If so, which do I install?

sudo apt search libgio

libgio-cil/focal 2.22.3-3 all
CLI binding for the GIO I/O stack 2.22

libgio2.0-cil-dev/focal 2.22.3-3 all
CLI binding for the GIO I/O stack 2.22

libgio3.0-cil/focal 2.99.3-4 amd64
CLI binding for the GIO libraries 2.24

libgio3.0-cil-dev/focal 2.99.3-4 amd64
CLI binding for GIO 2.24

librust-gio-sys-dev/focal 0.9.0-2 amd64
FFI bindings to libgio-2.0 - Rust source code

There is, however, a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0 file and a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0.6400.6 file.

try it:
sudo rm -r ~/.cache/nautilus/*
and
sudo apt reinstall nautilus

There's no /home/$USER/.cache/nautilus directory, so the first command won't do anything.

I'm doing the second command now, then I'll reboot and report back.

[EDIT]
Nope, still getting the same segfault.

[EDIT 2]
Huh, that's weird... I removed "quiet" and "loglevel=0" (which I'd put to minimize logging to screen during boot) from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line, and nautilus didn't segfault upon reboot.

I'm going to reboot a few more times to see if the issue recurs.

[EDIT 3]
Well, that's got to be the most idiotic bug ever... if you limit logging to the screen during boot, the bug occurs; if you allow full logging to the screen during boot, the bug doesn't occur. :thinking:

[EDIT 4]
Ok, it appears to be the loglevel setting in Grub that's triggering this segfault. It boots without the segfault if I use "quiet", and the segfault recurs if I use "loglevel=0".

0       Emergency: system is unusable
  1       Alert: action must be taken immediately
  2       Critical: critical conditions
  3       Error: error conditions
  4       Warning: warning conditions
  5       Notice: normal but significant condition
  6       Informational: informational messages
  7       Debug: debug-level messages

[EDIT 5]
Ok, "loglevel=1" and higher don't cause the problem. I've set it to "loglevel=2", as that'll let me see critical, alert and emergency errors, while hiding the "loglevel=3" and higher errors and warnings to give a clean screen during boot, since I always check dmesg after boot anyway, and the errors I've got are spurious (No Caching mode page found, Assuming drive cache: write through on USB sticks, for instance).

[EDIT 6]
Nope, setting it to a higher loglevel just delays when it occurs (it'll happen after you're in runlevel 5, not before), but it still occurs. Ok, looks like I'm booting with full logging to the screen, then.

Based on the packages you have installed and the output of the sudo apt search libgio command, it appears that you already have the necessary libgio packages installed on your system. You also mentioned that there is a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0 file on your system, which suggests that the library is already present.

Therefore, installing additional libgio packages is not necessary in this case.

Use a higher log level: As mentioned in the edits, using a log level of 1 or higher doesn't trigger the segfault, so you could use "loglevel=1" or "loglevel=2" to get the critical and alert errors while still minimizing logging during boot.

Remove the "quiet" and "loglevel=0" options from GRUB: If you remove these options, you'll get the full boot logs on the screen during boot, but the segfault won't occur.

Update Nautilus: It's possible that the issue has been fixed in a more recent version of Nautilus, so you could try updating to the latest version available in your package manager.

Reinstall Nautilus: If updating doesn't work, you could try uninstalling Nautilus and then reinstalling it to see if that resolves the issue.

Install libgio: Finally, if none of the above options work, you could try installing the libgio package using the following command:

sudo apt install libgio2.0-cil-dev

This should install the necessary libraries for Nautilus to function properly.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.