Bug when rebooting Zorin 17.1 Pro

I recently updated my Zorin 16.4 Pro to Zorin 17.1 Pro.

I have the below error that appears upon system reboot. I have used the software update and the catalogue apps update programs so as far as I'm aware all systems on the OS are fully up to date, but this notification remains.

Advice for how to resolve this would be appreciated.

Edit: I usually don't get a chance to read this error as it only appears for a second or two but reading it now seems to be a BIOS issue. The bios is GRUB2 ; I have no ideas how to fix any issues bios related. The system and the OSes all work ok as far as I can tell.

Does your operating system start after this message?

1 Like

What it means:
The BIOS of the (newer) hardware is reporting values that the Linux Kernel is not expecting. The Linux kernel will then fall back to preset values to proceed forward. This fallback will lead to the visible warning message you snapped a photo of.
Often, upgrading your kernel to a newer version can resolve this, since a newer kernel will have the relevant values.
Otherwise;
You can add the grub parameter loglevel=3 to inhibit that warning - or just ignore it as it only flashes for a split second and his harmless.

To add the grub parameter:

sudo nano /etc/defaul/grub

Add loglevel=3 to the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" so that it looks just like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash loglevel=3"

Tap ctl+o to overwrite, then enter to save changes then ctl+x to exit the editor. Now, you must run sudo update-grub for the changes to take affect.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Looking at it, the file /etc/default/grub already contains that line;

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash loglevel=3" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Clarifier:
The issue did not appear on Zorin OS 16.4 and the issue doesn't appear to disrupt OS loading.

I get a couple AE not found errors at boot. Honestly, I just ignore them. They are not harmful and I have other things to worry about.:stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.