Bypassing a Malfunction Key

Hey, so this is my first time using any time of chat forum, but I was unable to find any kind of clear answer anywhere else. My question: My Zero key is not working, I think its because the former owner of this computer spilled water on the keyboard. I was able to repair the damage to the other keys, but the zero was too badly fried. My hope is that I will be able to re-route the function of the zero key to another key which I don’t care about. For example, when I press the right alt, that will type zero. Is this possible? I am ok with hardware, and software as long as its within bounds of the system; I have no coding abilities whatsoever. Thank you for your time and help.

I could be wrong but I believe once the key itself is damaged it can only be repaired by replacing the key physically as in possibly replacing the whole keyboard ..... it would probably help to know what make & model of computer it is on ..... desktops are much easier but laptops as you know are built in and with most modern types the whole keyboard must be replaced .... well that is my experience anyway ....

I have an Acer with 2 bad keys and found it cheaper to just buy a mini USB key board and plug it it .... cost to replace the built-in keyboard was totally out of the question .....

Hey, thanks for the response! It’s a Toshiba Sattelite Click 2. That’s basically what I figured, I just didn’t know if there was an app/feature that would allow me to remap the keyboard

Does your keyboard have alternative numeric key pad (numeric keys) that can be used instead of the top row of numeric keys? Some do, some don't.

1 Like

I agree with @Frog about getting a USB keyboard.
Yes, you could remap the key:

Remapping on any OS, be it Linux, Windows or Mac, creates an Extra Step in keyboard daily function - which can malfunction at an inconvenient time. I would consider remapping keys to be a last resort, not a go-to fix.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help! No, there is not a number pad on this keyboard :frowning:

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the remapping, but that is good advice with the malfunctioning.

Honestly, it’s a pretty old computer, and there’s a lot wrong with it already. It might just be time for am upgrade.

Thanks again for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.