Can I use Huawei fingerprint reader on Zorin OS?

I have a Huawei Matebook D15 and I would like to know if there is a way to use the fingerprint scanner that is on the 'On' button. The scanner works on the windows partition that I keep around for Fortnite, so it works for that, but how do I use it For Zorin?

First, make sure you've got the latest firmware:

If you need to update, the update is likely in a Windows-specific file format... follow the directions here:

... to get a bootable Win10 PE (Hiren's Boot CD) BootUSB with which you can update your BIOS / UEFI.

That's likely a Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co., Ltd. fingerprint reader... Linux should support that.

Issue the commands:
lsusb
... this will tell you if the fingerprint reader is even connected to the USB bus.
lsusb -t
... this will tell you which driver it's trying to use.

Check that it's in the list of supported devices:
https://fprint.freedesktop.org/supported-devices.html

Then, if it is, issue:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install fprintd

That will install:

fprintd
dbus (a dependency)
policykit-1 (a dependency)
libc6 (a dependency)
libfprint-2-2 (a dependency)
libglib2.0-0 (a dependency)
libpolkit-gobject-1-0 (a dependency)

Also install:

fprintd-doc

fprintd-doc/focal-updates 1.90.9-1~ubuntu20.04.1 all
  development documentation for fprintd

libpam-fprintd

libpam-fprintd/focal-updates 1.90.9-1~ubuntu20.04.1 amd64
  PAM module for fingerprint authentication through fprintd

Once all the installation is finished, issue:

fprintd-enroll

Follow the prompts, swipe your right index finger across your scanner 5 times until you get the following: Enroll result: enroll-completed

Now you need to enable access:

sudo pam-auth-update

This will open an ncurses interface. Add a * next to 'Fingerprint authentication' and tab over to  OK  and exit.

Now you should be able to use your fingerprint scanner to authenticate for sudo privileges, and login and unlock your system using the fingerprint reader.

You can learn more about fprintd here:
https://fprint.freedesktop.org/

As to Fortnite:

If you're just keeping Windows around to play Fortnite, you don't need Windows.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.