Can Zorin 16 Pro run from an external HD

I know absolutely nothing about VM .....

OK folks I will try it again tomorrow ..... right now my mind is shutting down .... it has been a very trying day and I can't absorb any more ....

Thanks for all you r help ..... :+1: :beers:

Should work as i have done this my self on a 2tb external ssd from samsung (t5). That one was my test drive, if things went wrong i would not apply it on my internal drive.

1 Like

Some time ago you asked about Timeshift (as Timeshare!). Have you not got any snapshots you can restore from? If you game a lot of Windows stuff (I don't on GNU/Linux) then you may need nVidia drivers which for me have always caused issues, so I only ever use the nouveau drivers, not least because of potential security issues. Is the Logitech keyboard wireless? What is the model of the keyboard? Is the mouse usb or wireless? (Perhaps it is tine to invest in some GNU/Lnux peripherals: Linux keyboards and mice | ThinkPenguin.com | ThinkPenguin.com ) As for booting of an external hard drive that can be done but you would have to change the boot order to boot off the usb hard drive and is also where you need to install GRUB. Once you have installed Zorin to external device, update the GRUB with:

sudo update-grub 

Note that your Windows needs to be MBR not GPT or GRUB will not pick it up. As for the UEFI element of the external device I pointed out in another post that I have a MultiSystem USB stick formatted to FAT32. I added Hiren's Boot CD which doesn't show up in the MultiSystem Menu as it requires me in the BIOS screen to boot from USB PMAP UEFI and not USB PMAP (which is what MultiSystem requires) so check in your BIOS to see if your ZorinOS external drive name has two entries, one with EFI and one without.

1 Like

That's is true. I saw that when found my HDD and connected with USB port all slowly example updates.

1 Like

I finally got it to work a couple of days ago but I for the first one I cloned my whole drive so I assume all my problems were cloned also ....

I do game some but my games come from Steam and I don't game online so I guess I could be called an average type gamer ..... I did try nouveau drivers but the problem still existed so I went back to NVIDIA drivers ....

The keyboard is a Logitech K380 wireless and has worked on Zorin for over a year ..... the mouse is a Corsair wired gaming mouse and designed to work on Linux and is brand new ..... my other mouse was wireless and I used it on on Zorin for more than 10 months before it started messing up ....

Yes I am dual booting with Win 10 but each is on it's own drive .....

All my cables .... drives etc. are rated for 3.0 USB hardware ..... I have watched movies ...... downloaded and played games from my 3.0 USB port with no noticeable speed loss ..... as far as downloading updates goes I only have 55 Mbps download speed so I'm sure that would effect my downloads more than the using a 3.0 USB port .....

Ok they are SSD or HDD. The diffrents is RPM and cache on HDD. SSD are faster. I wrote about external HDD USB port and Sata cable.

Spent the morning culling more stuff from my Home drive to make it more manageable ..... got it down from 221 GB to 189.2 GB ..... I am going to transfer it to one of my 1 TB Passports .....

Funny all my Root icons (.icons) seem to have disappeared ..... are they still there ???? .... will they be transfer over to my Passport ????? ..... I take it I don't want them to be in case that is where all my problems lie ..... see photo below

Would it be better to just copy the folders over to the Passport or just copy the Home Folder as shown above ....

Anyway not going to do it today as it is getting kinda late to start something like this and I want to be fresh with a clear head ...... :thinking: :grinning:

Root icons are stored in /usr/share/icons
Home icons are stored in ~/.icons
This is true for themes, too: /usr/share/themes and ~.themes

I have my Home Folder downloaded to my Passport out of 189.2 I managed to get 188.6 saved where the other 1 GB went I have no idea .... there were some errors that showed up 1 claiming that a folder was not named correctly but when I checked the new downloaded folder against the original one it was fine nothing missing and the folder opened correctly ..... so I didn't check the rest of the error messages way to time consuming .....

All the folders and hidden files appear accounted for .... so tomorrow I'm going to format my Zorin drive reinstall a copy of the very first Rescuezilla I ever made back on 12/01/2021 almost a year ago so I know there are no problems that I'm having now that far back .....

I am going to shut my internet down before I load the backup ..... after Zorin has been installed I will turn the Zorin updates off to insure that no updates can be installed until I can check to see if everything works OK ....

I will then begin to install my Home Folder one item at a time again checking to see that no problems occur ..... only then will I turn on my internet ....

Well that is the plan so we will see what happens ..... if things go sideways I can always format the drive again and install Zorin 16 Pro from scratch ....

I will check the forum first thing in the morning to see if there are any more suggestions or recommendations .....

Things that deal with .gnupg wouldn't transfer properly.
Symlinks may throw errors.

One more thing you can do before calling it a day:

sudo dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ { print $2 }' >package-list

After running that command, look in your home folder for a file named package-list
It will be a text document listing every single package you have installed.
That could come in handy, in case something is missing and you need to know what. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for that ..... I have 3021 in the Package List ..... looks like it will come in handy ...... gonna save that command for future use ......

This might help your keyboard issue:

Interesting Corsair forum thread here:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.